Tunnels under Sheffield

Well done PT and Tony. You put it in all in a nut shell.

It didn't happen folks. We have all been had by neighbours, relatives, friends, etc. with overactive imaginations.

Nobody has come forward with a photograph of any these tunnels or maps, charts, eye witness accounts (sworn before a justice of the peace) - Nothing. And nobody will.

It is, regretably, all romantic speculation. Nobody had the skill to drive (dig) a tunnel in those days more than a few dozen metres and still maintain accuracy, certainly before 1830. Even if half the stories about tunnels under Carbrook Hall were true, its a wonder it hasn't collapsed in to them.

I retired at the end of 2003 as a Professional Engineer,after 52 years in heavy engineering. My last job was on a hydro electric power plant in West Asia. This was all underground with lots of tunnels: almost 7 km of them if you could stack them end to end. Even with all the latest laser surveying equipment we had, it was still a challenge for our guys and our contractor to maintain accuracy on each tunnel and arrive at the place we intended.

Regards

I seem to remember a program by Adam Hart Davis showing how to do this in a very simple way.

I also saw something on the internet about tunnels running along Shalesmoor from pub to pub, they have now started work at the end of the road so I should go down and have alook.

Very true Greybeard. The Romans were great engineers and plagiarists but also quite remarkable innovators when it came to making things actually work for real.. a little like Victorian Britain. :)

The tunnel at Samos is intriguing but I know that I personally could set it out and level it from one end with pretty basic equipment if all it has to do is conduct water downhill and exit roughly where expected... but without real expert surveyors with modern equipment I couldn't possibly do it from both ends and have any secure hope of meeting in the middle.

I would feel the same about taking on a challenge to build a tunnel from the Castle / Queens Head / Hartshead to the Manor / Cross Keys / Carbook Hall. I wouldn't have a snowballs chance even using modern laser levels and we could pop up anywhere... if we weren't killed in the process first. :D

Hi,

Some years ago, there was joke going around the engineering industry about two navvies who put in a ridiculous low price for digging the Channel Tunnel.

When asked how they were going to do it, they replied that one would start digging in England, the other would start in France and they would meet in the middle.

When asked what would happen if their lack of surveying skills and direction control mean that they didn't meet at all, they replied: You get two tunnels for the price of one".

Regards

The tunnel at Samos is intriguing but I know that I personally could set it out and level it from one end with pretty basic equipment if all it has to do is conduct water downhill and exit roughly where expected... but without real expert surveyors with modern equipment I couldn't possibly do it from both ends and have any secure hope of meeting in the middle.

That was the one I am on about should have a better look at the posting and not had so much red wine, I will see if i can find the bit about the tunnels in Shalesmoor.

Some where around Kelham Island has some large storage sellers full of WW2 stuff

• 1 month later...

Infact after studying that old map i decided to place a modern day aerial photograph over where it says the tunnel is. There's still something there, so maybe someone could say if it is still the tunnel entrance (the old map is 1850)

http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=overlaynj8.jpg <- the overlayed map

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6499/overlay2xx6.th.jpg<- original old map

After reading the other LONG threads about tunnels or possible tunnels under Sheffield and SOOO many referances to Mary #@?!"£!!! Queen of Scots I thought that this thread could be used for people to put on either pictures or post replies that say EXACTLY where any possible entrance to a tunnel or otherwise could be found and looked at if anyone wished to investigate for themselves.

After looking at the other threads I drew up this list of every rumour and story about where these tunnels are. PLEASE NOTE THAT NONE OF THESE TO MY KNOWLEDGE HAVE BEEN PROVEN!!!!

Queens Head Pub > Manor Lodge (Castle) > Sheffield Castle

Tunnels linking shops together on the Moor and Fargate

The Ponderosa under Crookes Valley Road > The Park

Univercity of Sheffield St. Georges lecture theater > Mappin Buildings

Sheffield Castle > "Old castle that is where Pyebank School and Pitsmoor Estate is now"

Cossack Pub tunnel entrance blocked off

Skye Edge "Vast hole, maybe tunnel" > Manor Lodge

Halifax Hall > Town Hall

Beauchief Abbey > Norton Church

Ship Inn (Shalesmoor) > River

Ecclesfield Church > Whitely Hall

Underground Railway from Queens Road (near Ice rink) > Norton College

Large Bomb shelter under Moorfoot

Tunnels under City Hall, Town Hall and a Large complex toward Don Valley

Possible Nuclear Shelter and tunnels under the Midland Bank building just beyond the Wicker Arches

Earl of Arundall and Surrey Pub > High Street

York Street > Cathedral

Cross Keys Pub > Handsworth Grange > Manor Lodge > Sheffield Castle

Hillsborough Barracks > 393 Club (possible old medical block)

Bishops House > Meersbrook Hall

Beauchief Abbey > Millhouses Cornmill

Old Subways under Moorfoot and between Surrey and Howard Streets

Train Tunnel from Wicker under Pitsmoor to LNER goods yard

Westbar Police station > Courts

Boots > Cathedral

Hartshead > ?

Layer theory:- Layer 1 near city floor possible connection of air raid shelters.

Layer 2 Tunnels associated with Castle.

Layer 3 "Nuclear" tunnels accessed by other two layers.

Whether or not they exist is up to you, BUT IF YOU DO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE TELL US!!!!

Thank you.

The Sheffield Star archives will have a story on one of them, at the time it had a picture as well. It was uncovered when the tram or pond street was being redeveloped. I don't live in Sheffield so can't access the archives...but it's there...I promise!

I can testify and bear witnessto the tunnel under Crookes Valley Rd - and I bet so can all of the people who read this thread who lived in the area prior to the slum clearance and re landscaping of the land next to Mushroom Lane

When I was a kid there was a street that wound its way up from the 'Tip' now top of Ponderosa, to Mushroom Lane. As climbed it doubled back on itself and built into the hillside were two enormous (to a youngster) metal doors - I think they were green. Even closed they always spooked me. Some of the "older lads" once were walking past and the doors were open - so being curious they went in - they had not got very far when they were chased out again, presumably by a council employee. They asked him where it led and they were told ' to Western Park'. If memory serves me there was a circular wall in the park jsut behind one of the bowling pavilions - that is where the tunnel came out. What its purpose was - I have'nt got a cluse. I remember reading that during WW2 or (I) the tunnel being used for storing the barrage ballons - that were flown from the Tip.

I've no reason to tell stories Harry 1000, those doors live with me even now 40+ years later - and they were no flight of imagination