Tunnels under Sheffield

Further to technology in the time of Elizabeth I, as regarding the possibility of navigating under ground for a long distance, would a compass work underground? What you do is dig down as deep as you want, take a bearing of the direction you want, dig in a straight line in that direction for the distance you want, then keep going like that with help from people above ground until you get to your destination.

The tunnel from Ecclesfield Church to Whitley Hall does/did exist. It does not go from the Church, but from another building in that area. I have seen the bricked up entrance and it is UPSTAIRS. I have also seen the entrance at Whitley Hall. The last known persons to attempt to get in it were troops stationed in the area during WW2. They gave it up as a bad job after a hundred feet or so as it had caved in. It would be wrong without permission from the present day occupiers of the building, to state which building it is but, take my word it is there.

I seem to recall my old man who was a journalist at the Star telling me about the nuclear shelter under the peace gardens that would hold about 200 / 300 people, the likes of local dignitaries, doctors, scientists etc.

It wouldn't do them an ounce of good as when they came out there would be nothing/nobody to administer to. It would be a living hell.

I don't know if it's just a disused pipe but there is an opening in the hillside in Crookes Valley Park, looks as thought it goes under the playing field behind it. It's got railings around it but I took a photo today while walking the dogs.

As soon as I've uploaded the picture to the pc, I'll post it on here for you - you can tell me if it was a tunnel or a pipe! :lol:

hi,docmel the tunnel under crookes valley road ( accessed from the canada )

bromley st to mushroom lane. I was informed as a lad housed some type of over flow pipe / pump for crookes valley dam , when we wee kids we found the steel doors open one day with no one around we dashed home for torches

and went exploring we followed a long thick metal pipe with turn wheels at intervals, we were absolutely bricking it ,at the end we could see daylight and found ourselves looking up a circular stone shaft about 10 / 12 ft diam with a steel ladder up the side it was about 30 ft to the top but as kids it seemed much higher. at the top we were met by strands of barbed wire after we struggled past this it was about a 9 ft drop to the ground and we were directly behind the park keepers hut at the bowling green , the shaft where we emerged was hidden by thick bushes

hi,docmel the tunnel under crookes valley road ( accessed from the canada )

bromley st to mushroom lane. I was informed as a lad housed some type of over flow pipe / pump for crookes valley dam , when we wee kids we found the steel doors open one day with no one around we dashed home for torches

and went exploring we followed a long thick metal pipe with turn wheels at intervals, we were absolutely bricking it ,at the end we could see daylight and found ourselves looking up a circular stone shaft about 10 / 12 ft diam with a steel ladder up the side it was about 30 ft to the top but as kids it seemed much higher. at the top we were met by strands of barbed wire after we struggled past this it was about a 9 ft drop to the ground and we were directly behind the park keepers hut at the bowling green , the shaft where we emerged was hidden by thick bushes

Yes I know where you mean! There's still thick bushes on it now, the dogs always, without fail, go to that shaft (now covered over with a grid) and sniff around!