Tunnels under Sheffield

I don't know if it's just a disused pipe but there is an opening in the hillside in Crookes Valley Park, looks as thought it goes under the playing field behind it. It's got railings around it but I took a photo today while walking the dogs.

As soon as I've uploaded the picture to the pc, I'll post it on here for you - you can tell me if it was a tunnel or a pipe! :lol:

Sorry guys, asked a friend today and was told it's a disused pipe that supplied the lake in Crookes Valley Park!

Apparently it ran from the reservoir that's now covered by a playing field (behind Crookes Valley Park) through the wooded area and then connected to piping to supply the lake in Crookes Valley Park.

As on the other thread alot of posts about tunnels turned out to be in relation to the drainage / sewage / pumping needs of the city. What we are looking for is proof if there is any of tunnels designed specifically for the transportation of people underground from one place to the next (and I don't mean public subways such as the disused one at the top of the moor). These may have been forgotten about, bricked up, disused or declared secret by the powers that be.

All that we really need to check some of this is to contact the right people, and perhaps spend a day or two in the archives and another day or 2 following up the leads.

I've heard stories of pub cellars having entrances to tunnels, and i suppose it's quite likely; what with the age of some pub buildings (or the foundations / cellars at least) that they do.

Realistically, any tunnel from the 1600's will have caved in, but it's likely that the universities and perhaps the hospitals have some sort of service / steam tunnels. I should think the town hall will have 'something' in the basement; most do. The royal observer corps bunker on abbeydale gold course definately exist, but is well locked. They all look the same, but are pretty cool to go in and explore.

Here's a quote from the archives:

Conveying property from the Duke's trustees to the Sheffield Waterworks Co. 1853-64.

Conveyances (several with maps) of Rivelin Bridge Wheel, Upper Coppice Wheel, Second Coppice Wheel, Rivelin Paper Mill, Frank Wheel, Rivelin Corn Mill; covenants to maintain accommodation works (in connection with the wheels sold); conveyance of land for underground pipes, conduits and 'tunnel' to the Sheffield Waterworks. 1861.

Abstract of title to the property. 1857-61.

Particulars of land sold, extracts from trustees' accounts, relevant correspondence. 1853-64.

What look like new tunnels have been found on the development outside the Train Station -- but -- instead of informing the Archaeology dept about the discovery the holes into the tunnels were quickly filled so as the impending excavation would mean a delay on the project.One tunnel was just outside where the tram depot was (just near the Norfolk Pub). In all two tunnels were found and as to whether they were ancient or just old we will never know.

What look like new tunnels have been found on the development outside the Train Station -- but -- instead of informing the Archaeology dept about the discovery the holes into the tunnels were quickly filled so as the impending excavation would mean a delay on the project.One tunnel was just outside where the tram depot was (just near the Norfolk Pub). In all two tunnels were found and as to whether they were ancient or just old we will never know.

There were a lot of goits in that area which were culverted as the area became built-up. Eventually the mill dams they served were themselves filled in and built on and the goits forgotten about, - until perhaps a JCB fell into one :D

The council probably have plans of these in their archives, - unless they were passed to the water board when responsibility for sewage and drainage was transferred.

What is a Goit? And what do you mean by culverting them? Please forgive me for being thick but I wondered about this on the other thread.

A goit is usually the water channel that runs from a weir on the river to a mill dam. After the water has 'driven' the wheel another goit takes the water back to the river.

Culverting is constructing a brickwork tunnel over a water channel to allow building over it.

The pressure for development in the lower Sheaf valley meant that many of the goits were culverted so that bulding could proceed without inetrfering with the operation of the mill dams.

Most of the rivers Sheaf and Porter in the area are now completely 'culverted' underground.