Tunnels under Sheffield

Going underground

Site investigations are helping to reveal details about conditions underground, which will be used to design the foundations for the NRQ.

A 20 metre deep underground service yard will also be built as part of the scheme. This yard will enable all vehicles to make their deliveries to retailers from below ground, rather than at street level. This will minimise, if not completely remove, the number of delivery vehicles that will need to park outside the shops in the NRQ.

Was this ever built, if so, where and is it still used today?

Would it be physically possible to put on a hard hat, equip yourself with a large torch and supply of batteries, a digital video camera, (take all precautions needed) etc and jump in a canoo and follow the Porter Brook or other rivers under the city? It is a well known story of the smugglers in the Ship Inn tunnel, but where did the tunnel emerge?

Also, I think it is unlikey that the other pubs around the Ship Inn would let that be the only Inn with a cheap supply of booze etc. Possibly, they would want their cut of the trade or the authorities would find out. Now, how to keep the operation hush hush? I know! Lets connect our cellars together with tunnel!

Remember all that area was known as "Little Chicago" for the amount of gangs in the area.

Would it be physically possible to put on a hard hat, equip yourself with a large torch and supply of batteries, a digital video camera, (take all precautions needed) etc and jump in a canoo and follow the Porter Brook or other rivers under the city? It is a well known story of the smugglers in the Ship Inn tunnel, but where did the tunnel emerge?

You might be better wading then canoeing, though i'm not sure how deep they'd be?

Try listening to this BBC Report on leeds culverts under the city.

To give the newly founded city of Sheffield a more grander air, more than one street name was changed, Workhouse Croft was changed to Paradise Street, for example.

As per R E Leader :D The point though is that the old street name points to underground workings in the area of Cambridge street and the NRQ.

It is a well known story of the smugglers in the Ship Inn tunnel, but where did the tunnel emerge?

No it isn't - I just made it up !! :confused::help:

Any tunnels in that area would likely have been put in to assist with the drainage of natural watercourses as the area became built-up. There were a few streams rising from springs in the high ground to the west - Brook Hill is named after one and Watery lane after another. I believe when the Crookes dams were built a culvert was put in to take any overflow down to the river.

Where under the town hall? Is there an entrance that can be seen and photographed? Where did it / they go? Your Mum used to go down in them but for what reason? Don't mean to sound rude but we need more than just a vague referance!

I don't know if this helps, but the cellar levels of the Town Hall consists of arched corridors and openings to rooms, presumably to support the weight of the building. I suppose these could look like tunnels, but they don't go beyond the foundations of the building.

No it isn't - I just made it up !! :confused::help:

Any tunnels in that area would likely have been put in to assist with the drainage of natural watercourses as the area became built-up. There were a few streams rising from springs in the high ground to the west - Brook Hill is named after one and Watery lane after another. I believe when the Crookes dams were built a culvert was put in to take any overflow down to the river.

I was sure that on the wall to the Ship Inn there is one of those plaques that have the story on it. Be they smugglers or sailors the story goes that they were drown in a passage way of some kind that led from the cellar to the river.

Either that or you made up a simple story that many people have taken as fact, in which case, well done!:):suspect: