Tunnels under Sheffield

Go walk up to ladysbridge, on the city centre side. Walk along the river on the side where all the new offices are (can't remember what it's called...millsands maybe?) and look across the river (towards wicker) as you are walking. You will see a semi bricked up entrance in the river bank, directly below a car park.

I've been down there, but i'll leave it to any of you if you want look. Just watch out for needles.

Go walk up to ladysbridge, on the city centre side. Walk along the river on the side where all the new offices are (can't remember what it's called...millsands maybe?) and look across the river (towards wicker) as you are walking. You will see a semi bricked up entrance in the river bank, directly below a car park.

I've been down there, but i'll leave it to any of you if you want look. Just watch out for needles.

Is that the one where steps lead down from the back of the car park, the whole thing accessed from Nursery Street next to the Children's Resource Centre? I would have thought the place is liable to flooding, though there is a weir just beyond it.

Yes that's the one. It doesn't flood as the tunnel slopes upwards. To be fair the tunnel only goes back about 10 metres. It then leads into a pretty large wine cellar, presumably once belonging to the building above it. It's full of rubble, again presumably just dumped into the cellar and belonging to the building that is now a car park.

Yes that's the one. It doesn't flood as the tunnel slopes upwards. To be fair the tunnel only goes back about 10 metres. It then leads into a pretty large wine cellar, presumably once belonging to the building above it. It's full of rubble, again presumably just dumped into the cellar and belonging to the building that is now a car park.

No vintage wine then? Damn... :)

• 7 months later...

I was working at the RIS during the 50's and early 60's. There were tunnels connecting the wards and various departments at that time. Presumably they were built in to the original hospital complex. It's a shame that the hospital has been demolished....I'm not sure what building has been done on that site, but I would like to know how the builders dealt with the tunnels...or, did they utilise them for some other purpose?

I don't get to Sheffield too often because I live in Sydney (Australia).

My mom used to tell me about when she was a child in the 20's, she lived in ladiesbridge(I think that's how you spell it). He schoolfriends father was the rector at Holy Trinity Church there, she said there were tunnels in the crypt of the church which were supposed to lead to the Manor Castle.I don't know if the church is still there. Might be worth a look if it is.