Tunnels under Sheffield

Make sure they know you're coming - they have to do a check for harmful gases before they let you down there. There's not a lot of it to see, but it's definitely worth seeing in my opinion. Apparently, you can also see part of the wooden castle through a little 'window' in the floor, but the glass was so mucky we couldn't see anything.

I have some photos I took of the castle remains when I went down about a year or so ago, if you'd like me to upload them?

I think that would be very useful Jen.

Apart from the fact it was in the way no one had any interest in it, my thoughts at the time were, it was probably a part of the main sewage system, but strange no one knew of it on the plans.

Fair enough, something similar happened to us in Portland, unfortunately I was in San Fran at the time and our guys dumped a 100 yard of concrete on it before I could have a gander.

Two years later another builder on the next lot found the same structure and broke into it, there were 14 miles of tunnels previously undiscovered down there that have since been on TV about a hundred times, ho hum.

I'm a builder as well and can tell you that if I found something strange that could cost me big time I might just cover it up and tell later when my contract was up and paid for.

Sounds as though you'd be more at home in Texas with the other cowboys rather than San Fran! Ignore the contract docs. at your own peril, mate!

And when are you going to believe that tunnels and Mary Q of S. are all baloney? You do go on!

after reading this very interesting thread i note some posters have said tunnels wouldnt exist or would be a security risk etc, i found this article today relating to old tunnels under glastonbury abbey dating from the 14 00's http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/history/tunnels.html

there seems to be documented proof of their existance,so it could be possible that there once were tunnels in the sheffield area,and its around the same period,not particularly under the sheffield castle due to the bedrock,but around certain houses and abby's, its still possible that there could have been a tunnel or two

this is a very interesting thread and one i return to every day,being curious i found this

http://jimsdesk.co.uk/history.html

under seige of sheffield castle it says the parlimentary general set local miners to work digging a tunnel to drain the moat,they came upon solid rock and could not continue

now if these lads couldnt get through solid rock,even when doing it openly i doubt any plotters would have managed any better doing it secretly,i would have liked to have seen a tunnel ,but it seems it wasnt possible due to the bedrock on which the castle once stood on

The fault I find with this one is where were they thinking of draining the water to, as the moat would presumably have been formed from the river, and can you imagine being the bloke who broke through the tunnel, he'd have been fired up to the cathedral :D