Tunnels under Sheffield

Do you have any exact link for the pictures? I read this thread a long time ago and haven't got the time at the moment to re-read it. although after a bit of reading i think i should...such a great read.

It was a very interesting read!

I'm not sure if this is the thread the person I quoted was referring to, but it's the only one I can find with pictures of the filling in process in it:

... okay tried to post the link there but I'm not being allowed since I've not posted 5 posts!!!! Try this - if you remove the space between the h and t in http should work - sorry!

h ttp://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61423

the only thing i can think they may be referring to is the concrete circle in the final two "fill it in" pictures. it looks like they have left a shaft to get down to the hole in the road despite filling it in. Maybe this is because there is a tunnel down there, maybe not.

I used to work in the Bankers Draft, which is right next to the hole in the road, and they do have bricked up tunnel entrances in the cellar.

the only thing i can think they may be referring to is the concrete circle in the final two "fill it in" pictures. it looks like they have left a shaft to get down to the hole in the road despite filling it in. Maybe this is because there is a tunnel down there, maybe not.

I used to work in the Bankers Draft, which is right next to the hole in the road, and they do have bricked up tunnel entrances in the cellar.

Ah, I see what you mean! Dang, why is it I always work myself up thinking I will see something amazing and in the end it's really nothing!!!! lol

Thank's for pointing that out to me! :)

• 3 weeks later...

There's a very interesting tunnel between St. Oswald's Church and St. Oswald's School on the Manor, running from the church car park's flower bed (near the red car) right under the school. Several levels of s-shaped concrete tunnels, most probably a municipal WWII bomb shelter. The lower levels need excavating. Apparently, the gardner found it whilst pruning the roses when he fell through and ended up with his feet in an old thunder-bucket!

There appear to be two disabled parking bays right over the ventilation pipes in the school grounds!

Worth a look, if you like that sort of thing. You'll need permission I guess, but from whom? The entrance is in the church grounds, but the tunnels are mostly under the school!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ei=3PTkSYzlDZeD-AbDpqSDCQ&q=st+oswald%27s+church,+manor,+sheffield,+uk&ie=UTF8&ll=53.376759,-1.43801&spn=0.000435,0.001035&t=h&z=20

The pertinent thing for me was the fact that it wasn't simply filled in was it? Look at this image: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/trendydave/Holeinroad17.jpg

It's just been bricked up. You can even see a steamroller of some sort inside the tunnel. However I can't get the modern day orientation of this photo to go lifting manholes to check. Is it facing roughly onto the bankers draft?

Edited by DBSx2