Tunnels under Sheffield

ye I know its a drain but its still looks like a tunnel.lol

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_brIyg5OdFyg/SXW8kluxQhI/AAAAAAAAF6A/Ia6VDDVT9bM/s400/1.jpg

and it is under sheffield.

The Don valley Relief sewer was built in the late 80s/early 90s (don't know if this is a picture of them or not) they were designed to take the overflow from the existing sewers instead of just overflowing into the rivers and watercourses. It started near to Owlerton Stadium and finally feeds into the Blackburn medows treatment works. The tunnels don't go under the city centre but tend to follow the path of the rivers Sheaf, Don etc..

They increase in size the nearer to Blackburn Meadows they get but the ones passing near to the station along Sheaf Street are approx. 2-2.5m diameter. The ones near the tratment works are large enough to drive a double decker bus down.

Has anyone heard anything about the bunker that was uncovered under High Storrs field? I went to High Storrs and it was a long standing rumour that there was an air-raid shelter under the field. As much as I wanted to believe it, I always suspected it was rubbish. However, apparently the builders at the school have unearthed it - made of concrete. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Here you go a documented tunnel,

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/tunnelunderrailway.jpg

Ran under the railway down onto Club Mill Road

I am sorry, but nothing on that map suggests a tunnel. I am either blind or just failing to see it. It just looks like a map of woodland with paths running through it. Is there any written documentation to back this up?

Has anyone heard anything about the bunker that was uncovered under High Storrs field? I went to High Storrs and it was a long standing rumour that there was an air-raid shelter under the field. As much as I wanted to believe it, I always suspected it was rubbish. However, apparently the builders at the school have unearthed it - made of concrete. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Most old schools had shelters built in their grounds to act as communal shelters for the local populations. A local infant and junior school had a concrete shelter, that survived and outlived the school. The council eventually bulldozed it cos it was unsafe.

The Don valley Relief sewer was built in the late 80s/early 90s (don't know if this is a picture of them or not) they were designed to take the overflow from the existing sewers instead of just overflowing into the rivers and watercourses. It started near to Owlerton Stadium and finally feeds into the Blackburn medows treatment works. The tunnels don't go under the city centre but tend to follow the path of the rivers Sheaf, Don etc..

They increase in size the nearer to Blackburn Meadows they get but the ones passing near to the station along Sheaf Street are approx. 2-2.5m diameter. The ones near the tratment works are large enough to drive a double decker bus down.

I remember when they were blasting those sewer relief tunnels under the bus station and Paternoster Row in the late 1990's (1998 or thereabouts). From Parkhill I could hear muffled loud bangs late at night when they used the explosive charges to blast through bedrock which underlies this part of town.:o

I am sorry, but nothing on that map suggests a tunnel. I am either blind or just failing to see it. It just looks like a map of woodland with paths running through it. Is there any written documentation to back this up?

There's not a deal of writing on the map to get mistaken by, it says Subway it was a tunnel that went under the railway, it's probably blocked up now, but I can remember it being there within the last twenty years.

It ran from roughly where the centre cross is on this map link to Club Mill Road

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.404944&lon=-1.482812&z=16.4&r=0&src=msl

I love the fact that this thread has gone on for so long! There has been a lot of rubbish posted, but some good things too, for example the pictures of the hole in the road being filled in, and the photo of the huge tunnel carrying the rivers Sheaf and Porter, near the train station.

Someone mentioned this being called something like the 'megatron'. Is this true, or is it a joke I've missed? Either way, I'd never heard that name. Does anyone know when it was constructed? Would be very interested to learn more.

The first explorers into these places generally get to name them. The dude who named it, named it Megatron.

Of course he wasn't the first down there, but the first to report it online at least.

It's not the Don Valley relief.