Tunnels under Sheffield

I've been told there's a tunnel near or in Stocksbridge somewhere which is still reasonably safe and accessible, been googling but can't find anything if so does anyone where there is?

This is probably the old railway tunnel on part of the former Woodhead Line, which has been turned into a footpath/cycle track with lighting. It makes fantastic echoes if you shout or sing, as the walls are smooth concrete.

Re. a passage from near Heeley Station to the Castle, as well as others from the other side of the valley to the Castle; I'd be a bit sceptical, as they would have to burrow under the Porter Brook; however that may not be impossible, if coal measures lie beneath the stream bed, and shafts were sunk deeply in the bottom of the valley.

One other interesting underground structure which was only recently filled in, but should be re-used if a new building is built there, is the cellar of the COSSACK pub on Howard Street; from what I know, it predated even the 18th Century pub on the site before it was bombed in WW2, and it may indeed also have had passages leading from it, perhaps to the neighbouring buildings such as the Howard, or further afield, although the modern buildings at Hallam Uni would have obliterated any in the direction of the Castle...

In response to the person, jon, if anyone or even you are getting together a group of people who can get to any of the tunnels in Sheffield please please let me know cause I would love to be able to go into the tunnels. I love any form history espicially Tudor history. If there are any groups that or people who are arranging this kind of visit to the tunnels in Sheffield please let me know I would be very very interested to go. :hihi:

This is probably the old railway tunnel on part of the former Woodhead Line, which has been turned into a footpath/cycle track with lighting. It makes fantastic echoes if you shout or sing, as the walls are smooth concrete.

Re. a passage from near Heeley Station to the Castle, as well as others from the other side of the valley to the Castle; I'd be a bit sceptical, as they would have to burrow under the Porter Brook; however that may not be impossible, if coal measures lie beneath the stream bed, and shafts were sunk deeply in the bottom of the valley.

One other interesting underground structure which was only recently filled in, but should be re-used if a new building is built there, is the cellar of the COSSACK pub on Howard Street; from what I know, it predated even the 18th Century pub on the site before it was bombed in WW2, and it may indeed also have had passages leading from it, perhaps to the neighbouring buildings such as the Howard, or further afield, although the modern buildings at Hallam Uni would have obliterated any in the direction of the Castle...

Thanks Tryanna, that's what i would of presumed that it's part of the old Woodhead line, don't suppose you know exactly where the entrance in Stocksbridge maybe though do you?

I know of a water tunnel which runs from Heeley Bridge to the start of Gleadless woods / Cat Lane, no nothing about one under Porter Brook though.

I think the Cossack will have had plenty of passages filled, but you never know as there seems to be so little documented about various tunnels and passages in Sheffield, it's almost like thye've got something to hide :suspect:

In response to the person, jon, if anyone or even you are getting together a group of people who can get to any of the tunnels in Sheffield please please let me know cause I would love to be able to go into the tunnels. I love any form history espicially Tudor history. If there are any groups that or people who are arranging this kind of visit to the tunnels in Sheffield please let me know I would be very very interested to go. :hihi:

deffo! I'm always up for exploring new places especially tunnels, don't know of any groups, and can't see how there really could be an official group either, but if anyone want's to meet up and explore somewhere then just get in touch!

That cellar was completely filled with rubble and earth, and compacted, so effectively, there's no cellar left.

• 2 months later...

U see a lot of old tunnels in sheffield yet never got to go through some of them.

Also some old castles where no one really goes anymore anyone know entries to these tunnels and where these old churches and castles are also old military bases which r left derelict Some amaing architecture n history to b found