Tunnels under Sheffield

• 1 month later...

The huge domed arch under the station is known as the 'Megatron' and indeed it does exist, it is part of the culvert system containing the Porter Brook. There is a lot about it on the Urbex Urban exploration Website, where several people managed to take some great pictures of it by sneaking down there while re-lining of the culverts (Now completed) was being carried out.

However, it is not open to the general public, and anyone who would venture down there at this time of year (especially when the snow starts to thaw) would be a damn fool, so the armchair method of exploration on the Urbex picture galleries would be infinitely preferable!:hihi:

while in town this afternoon i thought about this thread and smiled - here's why:

during the cold war, the CIA (apparently) set up a secret listening post under the berlin wall into the soviet sector - the problem was however that in winter the temperature within the tunnel was causing the snow to melt above it, thus causing finger of non-snowy ground emanating from the direction of the US sector...

...now this afternoon wandering up surrey street, the pavement all the way from the old masonic hall, up to the side entrance of the town hall was completely snow free, the other side of the road wasn't (even though, if i have my bearings, that was the side of the road to receive more direct sunlight)...

...hmm......

just a bit of fun remember :)