Tunnels under Sheffield

Hi, it is correct what you are all saying about these tunnels. sheffield is a city just built on tunnels. they run from the carbrook

hall hotel, upto the manor castle. and then there is those in the cross keys at handsworth. then again there are the tunnels from york street to the cathedral etc. i am really fascinated by these tunnels and have been from me being able to read. i also know that the tunnels which lead from the sheffield castle to manor castle are inaccessable due to landslides. tunnels even run from heeley to sheffield city centre and from the earl and arundal to high street. there was not one tunnel but upteen tunnels built for escapes to different places.

inside the old castle market at the side of the lift used to be a notice which read " keys for entance to old castle walls available "

does anyone remember this please. my mother and sister and myself used to say that the next time we were in the market we would go down.

• 1 month later...

Was sent this e-mail which might be of interest...

i have just been looking at your letters from people interrested in tunnels under sheff and barnsley this i know nothing of but in doncaster i can confirm their is tunnels under the town with gothic carvings that is documented in many doncaster history books these were built by a guy who had a sand quarry in hyde park and built himself a house into the same of a sandstone rock face but continued under the town.in the 1970s a large block of flats were starting to subside and the council who knew about these tunells decided to fill them with concrete but before they did the ytv calender tv program took a camera crew down and filmed what was left it showed the gothic carvings that are quite well documented .these tunels were unique but the local council as usual did not take advantage of this ,i hope this might be of some interest to your chat room people who are into the sheffield tunels regards steve@doncaster

I remember an old aunt of mine walking one of the tunnels in the 1950's.

She was part of a study group belonging to the Hunter Archaeology Society.

I know that society produce an annual book for its members with papers written about their different yearly finds.

Maybe someone out there has seen a report on the tunnels.

I would be interested to learn more factual accounts about them.

I still don't believe that these are anything more than a figment of vivid imaginations. Nobody has been able to prove that there is anything but Mine shafts, bell pits, adits, sewers and foundations underneath Sheffield, and Sheffield's topography hardly lends itself to the tunnels that are suggested.

Sorry to be so sceptical. :P I do like the romance of the idea :)

• 3 months later...

I've just bought a book called 'Sheffield's Time Trail: True tales from the Norfolk Park Heritage Trail.'

It talks about the tunnels under the city and one in particular is definitely known to exist. It runs from Sheffield Castle (demolished in the mid 1600's by order of the Parliamentarians in the Civil War) and goes to the Queens Head in Pond Street, which at the time was the Lord of the Manor's banqueting house.

I think the tunnel from Sheffield Castle to The Queens Head could be right, bur Manor Lodge to Queens Head..... no way!

I lived on Skye Edge in the late 40s and 50s and though there was talk about a tunnel we never found any evidence.

Manor Lodge was known to us as Maggie's Castle in those days. Its caretaker was a little old woman who always dressed in black, she was Maggie and she used to frighten us to death! She had about 20 dogs and used to walk them every night - we all kept out of her way.