Tunnels under Sheffield

Did anyone hear the interesting story on Hallam FM this morning about the tunnels running under Fargate, Town Hall, City Hall and Cutlers?

Apparently they can be accessed (or could be) from the Police Box on the top of Fargate. A local contractor has been awarded the contract to investigate the tunnels to see if it is viable to create a Sheffield Metro service.

Some of the tunnels are big enough to drive a lorry through!

yeah i heard it but i recken its an April fools joke about running a train through them , I would love to see any of these tunels that are real tho

Well I wasn't sure whether it was an April Fools joke or not because the information they gave about the male ballet dancer was true (or at least I think it is!) :hihi:

It'd be nice if it was true, but there are plenty of urban explorers out there who haven't found this yet. I'd have thought they'd have seen it by now if it were there.

I'm sure there were plans at one time to give Sheffield a small underground railway, that ran from Midland Station to the Moore or Fargate I think.

It must've been in the late 70's. I'm sure I remember my parents discussing a model of the proposed route and associated buildings that was on display in the town hall.

I have been in a tunnel from kelham island which stops nr the fat cat car park and there is a bricked up bit which im told ran right into town some where, also when ponds forge was made it shud av been bigger and come nearer the road where them grass hills are but couldnt as thats where the tunnels are and there listed and couldnt be damaged etc.

where does it start?

I'm sure there were plans at one time to give Sheffield a small underground railway, that ran from Midland Station to the Moore or Fargate I think.

It must've been in the late 70's. I'm sure I remember my parents discussing a model of the proposed route and associated buildings that was on display in the town hall.

are you sure that wasnt a monorail system? I seem to remember seeing some booklet with artists impressions in it, I think it was even due to go over the hole in the road on tall pillars!

are you sure that wasnt a monorail system? I seem to remember seeing some booklet with artists impressions in it, I think it was even due to go over the hole in the road on tall pillars!

Looks like my memory was playing tricks on me, or was it. An underground railway that went above the ground, now that's thinking outside the box.

Thanks for that, I followed your other link to the photographs too. I always wondered what it could've looked like.

Though to be honest back then I kind of expected there to be monorails all over the city by the 21st centuary, that and the fact that we would be flying around wearing Hover-Boots and wearing our tinfoil anti-radiation suits.:hihi:

Looks like my memory was playing tricks on me, or was it. An underground railway that went above the ground, now that's thinking outside the box.

Thanks for that, I followed your other link to the photographs too. I always wondered what it could've looked like.

Though to be honest back then I kind of expected there to be monorails all over the city by the 21st centuary, that and the fact that we would be flying around wearing Hover-Boots and wearing our tinfoil anti-radiation suits.:hihi:

I remember my Dad had a copy of this minitram propasal thing and have always thought that the Supertram should have gone over the hole in the road like on that picture!

where does it start?

The cellar at kelham island museum , it's a massive cellar which then has a tunnel which slopes down hill from 1 corner and goes along bout 75 meters and has a sump pump in it , then a long tunnel bout as wide as a car n bout 7 foot high goes into the darkness to a chamber which has a man hole above which is ment to be in the pub car park , there's a bricked up wall which is the tunnel into town :o

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about these tunnels which may or may-not exist. If Sheffield has district heating connecting all the cities important buildings (14o something from what I can remember), surely the easiest way to pipe this water would be to put them through the tunnels which already exist (If they exist).

Just thinking outside the box. :)