Tunnels under Sheffield

There's a grate missing on a path off the end of Johnson Ln Ecclesfield (other side of the railway) a ladder on the wall of the square hole too ..

personally I didn't want to go down,there looks like 2 of the sides go under the ground,but Ive no idea what the "room" would be like,

To be honest if you walked the path in the dark there's a chance you'd fall down the hole,Ive no idea who owns the land so no idea who to call and report it to,

JJ..:)

There's a grate missing on a path off the end of Johnson Ln Ecclesfield (other side of the railway) a ladder on the wall of the square hole too ..

personally I didn't want to go down,there looks like 2 of the sides go under the ground,but Ive no idea what the "room" would be like,

To be honest if you walked the path in the dark there's a chance you'd fall down the hole,Ive no idea who owns the land so no idea who to call and report it to,

IIRC it was owned by NCB but i dont know the name of the company who took over when the pits were privatised, its roughly on the boundary of arthur lees old land

• 2 weeks later...

Don't report it just yet mate, my urbex buddies have been notified. ;)

Originally Posted by SV500

JJ..

Went down it on Friday, nothing to see. It's just an old inspection chamber for a drain/ sewer by the looks.

It appears the pikeys have been burning the insulation off of copper wire down there as I got covered in soot and remnents of wire remain.

• 1 month later...

Now that's one tunnel .. I would love to go inside :)

The hole on Johnson Ln has since been topped off with a concrete cap,so its safe ;)

Great thread this one :)

JJ..

thanks for adding the pictures as i had to register to get on that forum, I too would love the chance to go in the Woodhead tunnel, its like the holy grail of tunnels!!

i once email national grid who politley declined me the chance on h and s grounds.

Love the half way point picture!

• 2 weeks later...

When the Bankers Draft pub was used as a Bank many years ago, a tunnel was built linking the Bank to other companies in the City centre. The stables for the ponies that were used to haul the carts ferrying the cash around are still there. Unfortunately the end of the tunnel is bricked up but it's interesting just looking around there.