Tunnels under Sheffield

• 1 month later...

And yet another tunnel discovered!

It is reported in the Crosspool Clarion that a householder on the top side of Manchester Road has found a tunnel under his garden.

The tunnel is 20 to 25 inches in daimater, stone lined with a covering of silt on the floor.

Another local resident says the tunnel runs from the Sportman's Inn to the bottom of Coldwell Lane under the back gardens of 51 properties.

Is it an old land drain? A secret tunnel or what?

Can anyone enlighten us or is it just another hole to be looked into.

Happy Days ! Popt

And yet another tunnel discovered!

It is reported in the Crosspool Clarion that a householder on the top side of Manchester Road has found a tunnel under his garden.

The tunnel is 20 to 25 inches in diameter, stone lined with a covering of silt on the floor.

Another local resident says the tunnel runs from the Sportman's Inn to the bottom of Coldwell Lane under the back gardens of 51 properties.

Is it an old land drain? A secret tunnel or what?

Can anyone enlighten us or is it just another hole to be looked into.

Happy Days ! Popt

I think you've answered your own question.

When the Bankers Draft pub was used as a Bank many years ago, a tunnel was built linking the Bank to other companies in the City centre. The stables for the ponies that were used to haul the carts ferrying the cash around are still there. Unfortunately the end of the tunnel is bricked up but it's interesting just looking around there.

I don't believe any of this. I think you've made it up. Give us some evidence. Tell us where the bricked up end is.

• 4 months later...

its said that a tunnel did exist from monor lodge to the queens head pub which was a laundry for the castle years ago i would think if there is a tunnel there it will have colapsed by now. alsoo there is a tunnel that runs from the near the queens head but it carries the river sheaf at one time you could walk through it to queens rd me and a mate started walking through it one day many years ago but bottled it when dozens of bats flew out scaring the life out of us i think it as been blocked off now but allows the sheef to still flow through

As a volunteer at Manor Lodge, I can assure you that over 30 years of digs no tunnels have ever been found. Any tunnel and that would include mine seams would be deemed dangerous and therefore blocked up. The pressure of the earth above a tunnel is enormous and at some point if not regularly maintained would fall in at some point or points.