Tunnels under Sheffield

A tunnel carved out from rock was discovered under the star offices in 1935. It's floor was worn but bone dry, and it lead to king street where they were stopped by a wall from the buildings above. They also discovered carved writing on a wall.

I don't know if this tunnel is still intact today as a bomb was dropped on king street during the Sheffield blitz.

Pictures on Picture Sheffield.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, but I'm sceptical of this entire notion that there is a great network of tunnels under the city.

Such a vast network would have taken years and years to dig, and if it was true there would have been many more of our forefathers remembering digging them.

Tunnels takes years to build, and a lot of manpower, it took the channel tunnel 7 years to dig, with 15,000 workers.

And it wouldn't matter any more anyway, as every single one of them would have collapsed, flooded or been filled in by now.

Just my thoughts.

Hi TaliZorah,

I went to explore the tunnels a few months ago and they do indeed exist. If you google 'Sheffield megatron' you'll see some fantastic photos of the tunnels. The most impressive tunnels run under the train station along the River Sheaf. There are more elsewhere in the city e.g. the Ponderosa but I've yet to explore those.

Strongly recommend getting your walking boots on and exploring yourself though. You can access them over the railings behind the Q car park next to the train station. Be careful as always when going underground but it's generally safe and it'll be an exhilarating experience.

Enjoy!

Jon