Tunnels under Sheffield

I heard there was a tunnel linking The University of Sheffield's St. Georges lecture theatre/flats and Mappin Buildings...

Your correct there are indeed, however after renovation these tunnels have now been sealed off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Was talking to a friend if mine earlier today who said there was/is a secret tunnel that runs from the cemetery to one of the houses just off ecelsall road.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about this or knew more about it?

Thanks

Swain90

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard rumours of tunnels leading from the Ponderosa under Crookes Valley Road to the park. Reputedly, they were used to store barrage balloons in WW1.

Anybody have any further knowledge of these?

hello my name is paul and it is not a rumour about the tunnel running from the ponderosa to crookes valley park I have lived in the area all my life and we used to play in the tunnel wen we wer kids in the sixties it runs from either wat used to be Canada street or blythe street undr the main road into crookes valley park at the bach of the hut for the bowling green in the bushes this was the air shaft and it was an air raid shelter it has been caped of now but has still got a steel door for inspection reasons but the original entrance is now been blocked of wen they pulled the houses down and is now a banking full of trees

hello my name is paul and it is not a rumour about the tunnel running from the ponderosa to crookes valley park I have lived in the area all my life and we used to play in the tunnel wen we wer kids in the sixties it runs from either wat used to be Canada street or blythe street undr the main road into crookes valley park at the bach of the hut for the bowling green in the bushes this was the air shaft and it was an air raid shelter it has been caped of now but has still got a steel door for inspection reasons but the original entrance is now been blocked of wen they pulled the houses down and is now a banking full of trees

There are pictures of it on the 28 Days Later website, where it is known as the Carlton Tunnel.

Clones

charlton tunnel under ponderosa, dont know were the entrance is though

hi mate i no where the entrance is but sadly got covered up in the late sixties wen they pulled all the houses down on mushroom lane canada street and blythe street its all banking now and full of woodland the air shaft and other entrance wer in crookes valley park but sadly in the last couple of years has been completly covered over by missery guts sheffield council

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 19:34 ----------

There are pictures of it on the 28 Days Later website, where it is known as the Carlton Tunnel.

thanks for that info i looked them up today i couldnt wait lol they are fantastic pics and brought back a lot of memories even a tear to my eyes lol we used to play in the tunnel wen we wer kids back in the sixties thankyou very much for your info best smile ive had on my face all day cheers

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 19:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steptoad View Post

[/color]

thanks for that info i looked them up today i couldnt wait lol they are fantastic pics and brought back a lot of memories even a tear to my eyes lol we used to play in the tunnel wen we wer kids back in the sixties thankyou very much for your info best smile ive had on my face all day cheers

My work here is done.

(Mounts horse and rides off into sunset to the tune of the William Tell Overture.)

Edited by Steptoad

• 1 month later...

Why isn't it clear exactly what is down there and what isn't, how extensive the tunnels are etc? doesn't the council know? If they do know then why not put out information to stop everyone guessing and spreading rumours.

If the tunnels could be made safe, are they a potential tourist attraction?