We all think of our families as Sheffielders

PopT

We all think of our families being Sheffielders but it would be interesting to know where our families did originated from.

My family were Iron Puddlers, Blacksmiths and Nailers living and working in the Black Country until the late 1890's.

Due to the decline in the iron trades in West Bromwich, they all (Husband, wife & 11 kids) moved up to Sheffield to work in the rapidly extending steel industry.

Looking at the population figures for Sheffield there cannot be a lot of original families from before 1700.

Where did your families come from and did you have regional family surnames?

Happy Days!

I've never thought of my family as Sheffielders. :huh:

My Dad comes from County Durham, Mum comes from Derbyshire, and they live in Nottinghamshire. My daughter lives in her native Derbyshire, and my son lives in Worcestershire. None have lived in Sheffield. Our family surname probably originates in Scotland.

I'm not from Sheffield - I was born in Nottinghamshire, but from Welsh stock.

My grandfathers were miners, and one Grandfather was a professional soldier (became a Sergeant Major) in the first part of the 20th Century.

My dad was a carpenter / fencing contractor, my mum a factory worker, then was in domestic service and eventually a cleaning lady.

Like you PopT, my family did not originate in Sheffield. Until I started to do the family tree I thought that they did then I found that only my paternal grandmother was born in Sheffield, her parents and brothers & sisters were all born in Sedgley, Staffordshire, nailers & ironworkers. My paternal grandfather's family were all born in South Leverton, Nottinghamshire. My maternal grandmother came from Nottinghamshire and I was suprised to find that her parents (my ggrandparents) came from South Heindley, nr. Barnsley. I then found that my ggrandparents families originated in Northumberland & the city of York in the 1700s.

I started to search about three years ago and to say that I have been suprised is an understatement, I would have sworn that all my ancestors were from Sheffield.

Cheers. Cynthia, Canada.

Mothers side is German , farther side is Irish , both hated by the British :hihi:

But i was Born in England in Sheffield :thumbsup:

Trying very hard to keep my warped yorkshire humour in check I am not going to say weEnglish hated nobody,we was just trying to civilise you,so since i'm NOT going to say it,shame on anyone who does.:hihi: :hihi:

Archived