Smoking in pubs

• 5 months later...

I heard from a lady from northern Ireland yesterday who said that the southern irish pub smoking ban, had caused such a rise in custom that the local pubs on her side of the border had banned smoking too. It seems that the majority of people who would have never gone into the pubs because of the smoke are filling the places up much more than the smokers did.

And with Italy [unbelievably] folowing suit with a bar smoking ban, it can surely only be a short matter of time for our [uK] freedom from smoke? :clap:

The smoking ban can't come soon enough for me,nothing worse that breathing in stale smoke from fag addics.

Just a shame the ban will not be in place before 2008 in places which serve food,why the wait??

Still will be fun watching the smokers stuck outside in the pouring rain lighting up ,poor sods.:D

Tuesday I went in the bank. I was stood at the back of the queue & the next chap in, who had just docked his fag, blasted the last lungfull out into a cloud around me. Filthy dog.

I had to put my nose & mouth into my t-shirt - I looked like a bank robber!:o

Yesterday I had a couple of hours in the local boozer with some mates I used to work with.

Today I can hardly nose-breathe & am gozzing up loads of thick phlegm... :thumbsup: Thanks smokers.

As for smokers paying more tax... what tosh :mad:

How about this ... (you do the calculations...)

Scenario.........

If 10 people work in a busy department & 5 of them are smokers.

The smokers club nip off for a 15 minute (extra) fag break;

say for this issue, 4 times in a shift.

That's 1 hour a day NOT working. Being paid for nowt. while their non smoking collegues cover for them / carrying them at no extra wage & no extra break entitlement.

That 1 hour a day smoking-club is 5 hours a week (ish) depending on shift patterns.

THAT'S A WHOLE FULL TIME POST THE COMPANY IS PAYING FOR, JUST TO STAND OUTSIDE (OR SOMEWHERE) SMOKING!!!

So the non-smokers, over the week, are actually doing the work of 2 people.

:loopy: Smokers should not be employed. They are a drain on resources & add stress to everyone else's day :rant:

I once asked in my department previously if I could save my non-smoking fag breaks up & have a day off in lieu...

Imagine the anger of the prissy little ward sister who was also the head of the smoker's convention :confused:

Originally posted by Cyclone

i take just as many breaks as smokers, I have a coffee

Me too.

My job used to involve me visiting hospitals/labs/military all over UK and my time was charged at £90/hour. When my host at the site said they were going out for a fag, then I didn't see why I couldn't step out into the fresh air [up wind of course] and with a coffee too. So if you think about it those 15 minute fag breaks cost somebody £22.50..

I worked a works do the other night and the smoke was awful,the reason was that the room was no smoking because the people there were having a meal so they had to come into the foyer to have a fag.

Now as doormen we were in this area and at the end of the night due to the bloody smoke I actually had cravings for some fags even though I stopped over 10 yrs ago.

I also reaked of fag smoke,god can't wait till it's banned .

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

2 exceptions - lucky you guys.

In a busy NHS department everyone can't just up & off together though. We weren't visiting the dept, we were working in it.

If we made a coffee then the smokers would get one too.

double double

see my meaning?

As an NHS worker you should know better than to smoke in the first place. If hospitals can't be healthy places then where the bloody hell can??:rant:

Archived