Smoking in pubs

Originally posted by Andy78

Draggletail, that's a good thing to hear. I've managed 5 weeks and i'm made up. if i ever end up smoking again, i'll hate myself. I can't wait to cal myself a non smoker so I can argue genuinely against smoking in public places.

Good on you, Andy - keep it up! You're on patches, arent you?

i agree with an earlier message by nu skills.

i hope you non smokers realise that by doing this the government will be shooting themselves in the foot and ultimately the less smokers there are in the UK the more likely that taxes will increase and by a significant amount

so, let us smokers be, i mean, everyone will die at some point and cancer does not choose smokers or non smokers, i know speaking from experience, my sister died only last year of cancer, she was a non smoker and a non drinker!!!

Originally posted by Sanderson

i agree with an earlier message by nu skills.

i hope you non smokers realise that by doing this the government will be shooting themselves in the foot and ultimately the less smokers there are in the UK the more likely that taxes will increase and by a significant amount

so, let us smokers be, i mean, everyone will die at some point and cancer does not choose smokers or non smokers, i know speaking from experience, my sister died only last year of cancer, she was a non smoker and a non drinker!!!

Nobody wants you to stop smoking. You're right, the more you smoke the more you pay in taxes. :loopy:

What we want you to do though, is smoke somewhere away from non-smokers. If this ban goes through it will prevent people smoking in public, enclosed, spaces. You can smoke as much as you want otherwise.:D

Originally posted by Sanderson

i agree in theory, but by banning smoking in all public places, such as pubs would be against our rights would it not??

Possibly, but banning smoking in public places would mean that my rights would be restored.

arguing our rights is a bit of a moot point. Rights are usually invented to win an argument. I could argue that i have the right to stab someone who annoys me. Maybe I do, but laws exist to prevent me. In the same respect, when it comes to banning smoking in certain areas, rights will not be considered. If a law is passed, then we must obey it. If such a law makes 75% of the population happy then it's fair enough really. If it was put down to a democratic vote, the same decision would be reached.

People smoke because they are addicted to it. So they will find other places to smoke if needs be. It's true that the government will not ban smoking all together, as they are reliant on the tax. However, just because the government relies on the tax doesn't mean that smokers can smoke anywhere. After all it's not like smokers choose to pay tax as a gesture of generosity towards the country. It's not a moral decision. Again, they pay the tax because they are addicted and have no choice.

I'm a smoker. Therefore I enjoy a cigarette with my pint. But not everyone does and not everyone wants to enjoy MY cigarette with their pint. But I still do smoke in the pub. So this isn't a post about "right to clean air" by any stretch of the imagination.

My non-smoking friends are usually accepting of us smokers, as long as all the smokers don't light up at once. (that's not to say they wouldn't prefer if we didn't)

But to be honest I wish smoking would be banned in pubs. As long as a sheltered area to pop out for a fag (not necessarily enclosed, just a canopy) is provided wherever possible (out the back door for instance) for when it rains. And ashtrays provided there so the street out the front doesn't become an enormous ashtray (a problem in Eire since the ban apparently)

It would certainly cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoke whilst in the pub so that's a good thing for me.

Archived