Smoking in pubs

I feel pretty sure that it will be banned in the near future,and personally the sooner the better.

I feel the one sure way of speeding this up woul'd be for a worker to begin legal action against the goverment like has happend over in Ireland.

This woul'd soon change the present approach of leaving it up to the individual landlord.

the rights argument is valid, and does not balance out.

It comes out on the side of the non-smoker.

The difference between the right to an action and the right not to be harmed is that one is passive (ie not being harmed should require no action on my part) and the other is active (smoking requires you to actually do the deed).

Thus my right to be safe outweighs someone else's right to take an action.

You can use a silly analogy to make the point clearer. I may have the right to wave a snooker cue around in the air, but other people have the right not be hit in the head by it. If I cannot wave it without hitting them, our rights do not cancel out, their right takes precedence.

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to make a point.

Why, when smoking is banned somewhere, do smokers stand just outside the non-smoking area with the door wide open allowing smoke to drift back inside? Why not close the door behind them? Afterall, they can still smoke just as much with a door closed as with one open.

Also, why do they exhale their last breath of smoke into the non-smoking area just as they are coming back inside. I would be intersted to hear from any smokers who could explain this to me.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to make a point.

Why, when smoking is banned somewhere, do smokers stand just outside the non-smoking area with the door wide open allowing smoke to drift back inside? Why not close the door behind them? Afterall, they can still smoke just as much with a door closed as with one open.

Also, why do they exhale their last breath of smoke into the non-smoking area just as they are coming back inside. I would be intersted to hear from any smokers who could explain this to me.

Usually because it is cold and wet outside !!!

They keep the door open to feel some warmth not not let smoke in. As for breath of smoke, they honestly don't notice, it is not designed to upset you.

I think all public areas should be non-smoking to encourage people to smoke less.

I understand that every adult has the right to smoke but it is also one of the best ways to damage your health.

Just as the government encourages healthy eating and more exercise, they should discourage smoking for the health of the nation.

Archived