Abandoned Hospitals

As a Photographer and some what of a film maker Id be interested to know about any abandoned Hospitals or such buildings i know of the middlewood hospital and the Wharncliffe one. From my point of view there seems to be some confusion as to which one has been converted. As far as i know there were 2 hospitals about a mile apart. Wharncliffe was merely a nervous hospital while middlewood was for much more serious cases. Middlewood was apparently set back into some woods and along a lane behind high walls i've heard. ive read the other threads concerning this but they dont seem to asnwer my questions. Please, can any one help?

the two hospitals were nearer to each other than that.

I nursed briefly, at middlewood in the years before it closed, though my main places of work were at St Josephs at Walkley and at Lightwood, at Norton.

Also, you might be confusing the original name of Middlewood hospital ("Wadsley Asylum") with the actual Wharncliffe hospital. which was more or less beside (well as near as "dammit") the Asylum.

The whole of the Middlewood hospital site was earmarked for development, some of the magnificent hospital buildings have been converted, whilst a lot of the more "modern" wards (which were dotted around independently) were demolished to make way for the "prestigious housing" of Kingswood Park. (i think that's the name of the development, named for one of the wards)

Now, part of my memories are foggy on this one. I can't quite remember whether it was called "Wharncliffe" or "Wharncliffe Side" hosp.

It (the Wharncliffe Hospital) had orthopaedic wards, similar to "King Teds"-King Edward viii, orthopaedic hosp, at Rivelin (I remember this from my childhood, visiting my mothers father when he was in for some orthopaedic operation) , it was not a "mental" hospital or for those who suffered "nerves". the mental health services were all concentrated within the one site, at middlewood then.

there might have been a Ward, there, named Wharncliffe, in the latter years, (I think there actually was) and, indeed the less severe cases might have been placed on this ward, but, no, it was, most definitely two seperate hospitals.

I certainly remember being taken there as a tot, in the August of 1966 to visit my grandpa. I caused uproar and great hilarity because I asked my grandpa, in front of virtually the whole ward, where __"his"___ new baby was.

My mother had, literally, only just come home from the (old) Jessop Hospital, having given birth to my younger sister, a week or so prior to this incident, and, I suppose, quite logically, (for an "almost-three-year-old") I had made a connection between going into hospital and coming home with a baby(!!!!)

well, it raised a laugh amongst the people who were there, anyway.

lol

PT

yes, nether edge has gone the same way as "king teds", Middlewood and Lodge Moor Hospitals...

It's all been sold off to developers, for housing and such like.

I am pretty sure that the old Jessops will go the same way.

it's sad

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

yes, nether edge has gone the same way as "king teds", Middlewood and Lodge Moor Hospitals...

it's sad

PT

Not forgetting The Royal Infirmary on Infrimary Road now Safeways (sorry, Morrisons) and The Royal on West Street.

Originally posted by max

Not forgetting The Royal Infirmary on Infrimary Road now Safeways (sorry, Morrisons) and The Royal on West Street.

Of course! I was wracking my brains trying to think of other former hospital sites that had been developed, becaue i knew for a fact that there were more than I had named in my post above, and could not, for the life of me, remember those two. I am ashamed of myself, as my office window looks out onto the former royal hospital, for crying out loud!

(PT blushes, furiously, and retreats, to just, erm, sit quietly in a corner ,with her colouring book and crayons! :lol: )

PT

Of course! I was wracking my brains trying to think of other former hospital sites that had been developed, becaue i knew for a fact that there were more than I had named in my post above, and could not, for the life of me, remember those two. I am ashamed of myself, as my office window looks out onto the former royal hospital, for crying out loud!

(PT blushes, furiously, and retreats, to just, erm, sit quietly in a corner ,with her colouring book and crayons! :lol: )

PT

Sorry about that, throw away your pretty things and rejoin the human race.:D

My Grandfather Christopher Smart was a patient at Middlewood hospital. He had survived four years at the front in France during World War 1, and had come home shell shocked, what is called combat fatigue today. What couldn't have helped much was that his wife died in 1916 leaving a family of six children in the care of the oldest girl, sixteen years old. Compassionate leave was denied in those heartless days. Though I was only eight when he died I can recall the hospital grounds as very like a park. The hospital was also used to house wounded soldiers in WW2

it's sad

PT

Jessops now belongs to the University. It won't have housing on it.

There used to be a hospital near Weston Park,between Bolsover St and Crookesmoor Rd, known as"Winter St" where all the tuberculosis patients went,and in my younger days whenever it was said someone had "gone in to Winter St",that was like a death sentence,is it still there,?.

Archived