Does anyone remember "Tony Toms" swfc trainer in 80s

GJ2004

can anyone remember tony toms he was a trainer for swfc in the early 80s when jack charlton was in charge ant took the team to the top. he was the guy who took the team on the marine course in Deal Kent very fit guy I used to know him very wel but lost contact yeasrs ago. anyone know where he is now ?

Yes, he was also the physio of Kent CCC. I thought he was at Hillsborough earlier than you said. I thought these commando expeditions took place under Len Ashurst and his reign was 1975-77. Weren't Maurice Setters and Frank Blunstone "Big Jack's" righthand men? I can't be certain, there may have been an overlap but Charlton was the boss from '77- '83 and didn't have such gimmicks.

tony toms was at wednesday before jack charlton. Lucky for us jack does not bring or did not bring him own staff so tony kept his job. not sure after jack left though

I have a feeling that Toms may have gone out of the game when Ashurst left Hillsborough. Jack Charlton certainly brought in Setters and Blunstone, and John Harris was also in assistance.

Toms was an Ashurst selection, not a Wednesday one - they'd come together from Gillingham and the Kent connection. It was said "the Moors" experiment created a lot of unnecessary publicity and had Wednesday lost their next game, Ashurst would have been sacked. Ashurst later went to Newport and Cardiff but I feel Toms had left him before then.

I think the Owls' board was glad to see such an innovation pass by and I am of the opinion that Jack Charlton didn't use him, and if so certainly not for long.

Tony Toms used to run a gym behind the Peacock at sheff lane top,that was a few years ago now,don't know if he's still there.

it was not the peacock it was the pheasant at lane top that is when i new him he and I were one of 5 partners in the gym i have no idea what happened to any of the others except 2 of them went on to run an exhaust center in chapeltown near the bridge

Archived