Does anyone remember "Tony Toms" swfc trainer in 80s

GJ2004

tony toms used to have spartans gym at the rear of the pheasant pub at lane top, I've known tony to many years to mention & he still lives in sheffield though he does go down to wales quite a bit, see him most weeks still fit & strong at 65 yrs of age comes to our gym & presses 150 pound dumbells. keep it up tony old boy.

PCInfield, I bow to your better memory which can be substantiated by the following quote from The London Owls, when in 1999, there was a 20-year reunion celebration to mark the "Boxing Day Massacre" against Sheffield United 4-0!

"The game’s legendary status was confirmed by the unprecedented demand for tickets for the reunion. Two dinners were arranged on consecutive nights, the second being at Hillsborough after the Middlesbrough game, with the reunited team’s capacity for rich food and alcohol being tested to the limit. It was something of a coup for the club that 10 of the players (Jeff King was sadly unwell) and the surviving management team of Jack Charlton, Maurice Setters and Tony Toms attended (respect to the late John Harris is due here). An impressive 3 tables worth of London Owls took in the game and dinner."

can anyone remember tony toms he was a trainer for swfc in the early 80s when jack charlton was in charge ant took the team to the top. he was the guy who took the team on the marine course in Deal Kent very fit guy I used to know him very wel but lost contact yeasrs ago. anyone know where he is now ?

Tony was brought to the club by Len Ashurst and I recall him as a regular customer at the Travellers.

• 2 weeks later...
tony toms used to have spartans gym at the rear of the pheasant pub at lane top, I've known tony to many years to mention & he still lives in sheffield though he does go down to wales quite a bit, see him most weeks still fit & strong at 65 yrs of age comes to our gym & presses 150 pound dumbells. keep it up tony old boy.

You are correct about Spartan gym as I stated earlier he was 1 of 5 partners when I knew him in the early eighties he was a great guy would help anyone and always had a story at that time he could press over 200 lb I think you may find his age is a little higher but so what if he is still training best of luck to him one thing I do remember he co wrote a book called "Sausage Machine" I have been trying to get a copy for years, when next you see him ask him how to get a copy it was a very good book I would love to know how to get a copy now

You are correct about Spartan gym as I stated earlier he was 1 of 5 partners when I knew him in the early eighties he was a great guy would help anyone and always had a story at that time he could press over 200 lb I think you may find his age is a little higher but so what if he is still training best of luck to him one thing I do remember he co wrote a book called "Sausage Machine" I have been trying to get a copy for years, when next you see him ask him how to get a copy it was a very good book I would love to know how to get a copy now

Hiya mate,

saw Tony on friday still insists that he's 65 though I know he's nearer 70, I have asked him for a copy of the sausage factory which he promised me ages ago, said he's got one lying around somewhere and he'll bring it in to the gym for me next week, when I've finished reading it I'll get back to you and let you have it.

All the best Stealy

I trained at Spartan in the early 90s and Tony was part owner as someone mentioned.

The other partners were 2 brothers who had/have a garage at the bottom of Rutland Road and another one at Chapeltown.

They always knocked me a few quid off through knowing them from the gym.

I found Tony a nice bloke who always stepped in if I was pressing on my jacks which was often.

Hiya mate,

saw Tony on friday still insists that he's 65 though I know he's nearer 70, I have asked him for a copy of the sausage factory which he promised me ages ago, said he's got one lying around somewhere and he'll bring it in to the gym for me next week, when I've finished reading it I'll get back to you and let you have it.

All the best Stealy

thanks for that I would love to get hold of a copy ebven if it was just photo copied

Archived