Does anyone remember "Tony Toms" swfc trainer in 80s

GJ2004

• 2 months later...

Yes TT was/is a tough guy (but he also knew how to talk it up) - very hyped and competitive. In late 80s went out to middle east and successfully managed a football club there until the security and drinking ban got too much for him. He also trained Donna Hartley when she moved from Olympic athletics to bodybuilding - I seem to remember her muscle mass doubling and her voice dropping two octaves within an incredibly short time.

can anyone remember tony toms he was a trainer for swfc in the early 80s when jack charlton was in charge ant took the team to the top. he was the guy who took the team on the marine course in Deal Kent very fit guy I used to know him very wel but lost contact yeasrs ago. anyone know where he is now ?
I remember him i thought he was a right piece he did keep fit for us ladies we went just to see him not to jump about my friend pulled her thigh he took her to the treatment room we followed we wernt missin any thing ha ha

can anyone remember tony toms he was a trainer for swfc in the early 80s when jack charlton was in charge ant took the team to the top. he was the guy who took the team on the marine course in Deal Kent very fit guy I used to know him very wel but lost contact yeasrs ago. anyone know where he is now ?

Yes i remember tony toms he had a fitness club at lane top

• 2 months later...

Tough guy Tony Toms was the inspiration for one of many classic cartoons by Ralph Whitworth, of the Morning Telegraph and later The Star. After Toms had taken the Owls squad on an endurance test on the moors, Ralph drew two sheep in the wilds. One is saying to the other: 'I've been living on these moors for years...and I'm still no good at football!'

• 1 year later...

I remember enrolling on a fitness course that he ran in the gym at SWFC. After the first session I walked like a crab for days!

By the end of the course I reached my lifetime high level of fitness. All downhill since then.

Len Ashurst brought Tony with him from Hartlepool - i also remember the overnight camping on the moors !!

• 1 month later...
Hiya mate,

saw Tony on friday still insists that he's 65 though I know he's nearer 70, I have asked him for a copy of the sausage factory which he promised me ages ago, said he's got one lying around somewhere and he'll bring it in to the gym for me next week, when I've finished reading it I'll get back to you and let you have it.

All the best Stealy

Hi Stealy - Just a quick correction, I joined the Marines with Tony "Taff" Toms in September 1961. We joined Number 12 Junior Marine Squad and shared the same barrack room at Deal. Tony was one of the eldest in the squad so now he would be 65 going on 66 and not 70. If you do contact him ask him to keep in touch

All the best Pete Smith

I trained at Tony Toms Gym in the early 90s and he always had lots of advice, a huge strong bloke but a pleasant guy.The gym was above the garage next to the Pheasant a very basic gym with really primative equipment but thats all that was needed.

Archived