Blades, SUFC & the blades ?

I Did my YTS thingy early 1993 on John St. @ the time the blades knocked down the stand. ( we watched free games then lol as we were on 2nd floor and could look over the wall) Anyways.

I did my training as a printer ( my job today so YTS dose work :thumbsup: ). I worked in the dukeries bulildings , it was a modern outer building with a older core, We had the older core as our printing place. When the new outer was finished we moved to there and stripped the gear out of the old bit. We removed all the wooden work benches and found LOADS of old Blades for razors. I asked about @ the time and i was told that it was a blade making place that use to sponcer SUFC, where the Blades got the Nickname Blades from.

I was just wondering if this is true ?

If you don't know where it is, it side of the petrol station on John St. and ends at the 1st left turn going down John St. It was a YTS place but no idea now.

________

Silver surfer review

I Did my YTS thingy early 1993 on John St. @ the time the blades knocked down the stand. ( we watched free games then lol as we were on 2nd floor and could look over the wall) Anyways.

I did my training as a printer ( my job today so YTS dose work :thumbsup: ). I worked in the dukeries bulildings , it was a modern outer building with a older core, We had the older core as our printing place. When the new outer was finished we moved to there and stripped the gear out of the old bit. We removed all the wooden work benches and found LOADS of old Blades for razors. I asked about @ the time and i was told that it was a blade making place that use to sponcer SUFC, where the Blades got the Nickname Blades from.

I was just wondering if this is true ?

If you don't know where it is, it side of the petrol station on John St. and ends at the 1st left turn going down John St. It was a YTS place but no idea now.

I used to work in those workshops in the 70s, before it became the YTS place i was apprentice at the company WG Jenkinson Ltd who were pipework engineers until about 81 when they folded. I can remember a firm next door corner of Countess and Clough rd (opposite the church), who did make razor blades(but cannot remember the name). I can remember some alterations being carried out to that side of the building, which had previously been a brewery with some of the old walls and tanks being taken out. So Bramall Lane would have had 2 breweries at either side of the ground.

Although nowhere near shaving age then, Wardonia was a prominent sponsor on the Owls' programmes in the 40's. However, on a 1937 programme of SWFC, there is an advert for St.Leger Razor Blades - "Sheffield's finest 1d blade" and it reads; "Made by Thomas Ward & Sons Ltd. Wardonia Works, Sheffield 1."

I think the following site may answer most of the queries re the WARDONIA razor blades - it is rather comprehensive

http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk/index.html

The address given on the back of my 60's Blades programmes is Thomas Ward & Sons Ltd Po Box 9 Wardonia Works Clough Road Sheffield 1

They certainly advertised for many years in the SUFC programmes (rear cover page) but I think that sponsorship on shirts etc is a relatively recent innovation - was it prohibited by the FA for many years ??

What amazed me about this thread was the postal district of Clough Road. I have checked and found there are two parts of Clough Road; one is Sheffield 1 and the other Sheffield 2. I was quite astonished by the Sheffield 1. I believed that everything to the south of St.Mary's Gate to be Sheffield 2 but I'd obviously been dreaming!

Archived