ExPats. Do you remeber that first Christmas

buck

We'd arrived in Montral in May 1968, and were eagerly looking forward to a white Christmas. It hit with a vengeance right on Christmas Eve. So we decided to take a stroll in it. We hadn't gone very far when a cop pulled up ordered us into the car and took us home. He thought we were underclothed and in danger. Christmas lunchtime i went out looking for a pub for my Christams pint before the turkey, but couldn't find a place open anywhere. Asking did no good, people wondering why anybody would be out drinking.

I started to enjoy Christmas over here, but missed that pint for years.

Yes Buck, my first Christmas away from home was in Canada also, over 40 years ago , i lived in a French speaking village called St Timothy just outside Montreal, closest town was Vallyfield, also close to an Indian reservation, still there I think...yes, I froze my *** off the couple of years I was there. I'd never been so cold in my life, couldn't wait to leave .

Funny i remember dead the opposite after surviving the the cold & damp of the english bedrooms, i found i could stand the cold of the Canadian winter much better than most locals,i was always getting told off for going to the store in just a sweater,and asfor going to the beach in sunny Oct(65 at least) we and afew more english had the beach all to ourselves.

Funny i remember dead the opposite after surviving the the cold & damp of the english bedrooms, i found i could stand the cold of the Canadian winter much better than most locals,i was always getting told off for going to the store in just a sweater,and asfor going to the beach in sunny Oct(65 at least) we and afew more english had the beach all to ourselves.
Not long after Christmas it shot up to a barmy 30 degrees F, and I went skating on one of those outdoor rinks the firemen used to make up in just a sweater. Poppins, I lived on Upper Lachine road in NDG, on the way to Valleyfield, it was and still is an Iroquis reservation. I go up to the city now and then, its a five hour drive through lovely country.

Hi, I can't forget my first Christmas away from home!!! My daughter decided she wasn't going to miss anything, I went into labour (three weeks early) at ten oclock at night, she was born at 6.15 Christmas Eve morning. So I got to spend our first Christmas (we were only wed that year) in hospital with a load of strangers. Still she was well worth it.

Archived