*Ashes thread*Why do we have to be English?

Well as I hope to be watching the next 10 ashes tours at least I'm interested in the long term future.

I think we only have the squad to win if they perform and getting the best out of our players isn't what we are good at. Troy Cooley (previous bowling coach and aussie) was top notch at it and helped us win the ashes.

What we need is for the players that are out there (being justified in their selection or not) to play their guts out. If they feel they are doing and this is the best they can come up with in terms of a performance we need to shoot them, or just not bother playing the remaining games.

Personal choices for changes to the team:

On a pitch that flat I would have played Giles stating his better batting and fielding than Monty. Then he drops Ponting and it all goes out the window.

I'd whack monty in, we've got a pretty big tail compared to the Aussies anyway so we need match-winning bowlers, Giles is under the right conditions, but I think Monty is under a whole larger range, get him in, take a chance.

Drop anderson yeah, but replace him with who?

NEVER let collingwood bowl, I bowl faster and with more guile than him, he's a 1-day cricket bowler, not test match standard.

Someone sort out Stevie H's head, please. No seriously, please!

Buy Simon Jones a new ankle/leg/body.

Find a bowler who can deliver a ball in the channel 11 times out of ten.....Andy Caddick fancy a trip down-under?

MAttel

"Part and parcel of being English is to build our sporting heroes up far too much only to realise that actually we aren't really that good. Take your pick from Football/Cricket/Rugby/Athletics all these get hyped up and (occasionally) win something only for everything to come crashing down at the next major tournament. "

Perhaps the big problem is that English people seem to regard it as "failure" and that you "aren't that good" if you are not number 1 in the world. Tim Henman is widely branded a failure despite earning over 7m dollars and having been in the top ten in the world for several years. The Rugby League team is branded a failure if it comes second in the world. The soccer team is a failure if it does not win the World Cup.

My favourite example of this was when English chess player Michael Adams won through to the final of the World Knockout chess championship in 2004, in a field of 128. He then drew the final, but lost on a speed chess play off. The headline in the Guardian was "England's Latest Failure".

Perhaps the big problem is that English people seem to regard it as "failure" and that you "aren't that good" if you are not number 1 in the world. Tim Henman is widely branded a failure despite earning over 7m dollars and having been in the top ten in the world for several years. The Rugby League team is branded a failure if it comes second in the world. The soccer team is a failure if it does not win the World Cup.

My favourite example of this was when English chess player Michael Adams won through to the final of the World Knockout chess championship in 2004, in a field of 128. He then drew the final, but lost on a speed chess play off. The headline in the Guardian was "England's Latest Failure".

Agree with what your saying here but in this instance (The Ashes) it is the manner of the defeat - where we posted a huge total and notched a record defeat. Similarly with the football World Cup - we have on paper some of the best players in the world but the attitude & commitment of said players did not befit their ability or expectations and hopes of the nation.

Archived