Remember white winters?

remember one afternoon in winter - must have been about '76 - the snow started to fall about lunchtime - by 3:30 the town was begiining to get snowlocked and we were all told to go home early. I was working down the 'cliffe at the time - buses had stopped running and everone was walking home. By the time we got into town it was almost a real party atmosphere - all the pubs had just opened but were full and everyone seemed to be making the best of it.

I stopped at a couple of watering holes on the way (The Grapes and The Beehive as I recall - by the time I got home (just near the Hallamshire Hospital) it was almost 7 - my gran, who I lived with at the time, told me that she had been used as a 'staging post' for some of my friends who worked in town and lived at Crookes/Broomhil/Crosspool. They had all stopped off for a warm and a cuppa before setting out to the next base camp

Now that was snow - to cripple a city the size of Sheffield within a few hours - I dont think we have seen weather like that for years.

Remember the inner circular use to be taken off because it couldn't get a run up Crookesmoor road as it came of Ashburry Road in the 50's and 60's. Also if you missed getting to the stop you could always jump on the back as it went up the hill. ( not pc wouldn't allow you to do it now due to health and safety).

Remember the inner circular use to be taken off because it couldn't get a run up Crookesmoor road as it came of Ashburry Road in the 50's and 60's. Also if you missed getting to the stop you could always jump on the back as it went up the hill. ( not pc wouldn't allow you to do it now due to health and safety).

....and jump off as it went round the corner - if you were really cool and pretty good and timed it well you could keep walking straight into our shop

I remember as a small girl in 1947 stepping out of our front door and disappearing into oblivion where there should have been steps.

Is anyone else old enough to remember that winter.

I also remember 1963. The buses couldn't run and I was starting a new job and walked from Manor Park to Norfolk Street. When I got there the owner of the shop played hell with me cos I was late.

Well I won't be late home I said as I turned round and walked back.

Hi SHE SHE, old enough!, it was the year after Iwas married, remember it well our boss had us going round clearing ice out of gutters and roofs it lasted 16 weeks, we were fed up, but no inside work so to earn a wage we had it to do, those were the days eh! Cheers Arthur.

I remember as a small girl in 1947 stepping out of our front door and disappearing into oblivion where there should have been steps.

I also remember 1963. The buses couldn't run and I was starting a new job and walked from Manor Park to Norfolk Street. When I got there the owner of the shop played hell with me cos I was late.

I was also a young child, but never forget that winter. The snow was up to the top of peoples outside doors. !!!!! :gag:

Good for you ! :D

I remember one morning in 1947 opening the back door to 2 feet of snow in the yard and having to shovel a path down to the loo. Fell to me as Dad was on nights and hadn't got home.

Hi SHE SHE, old enough!, it was the year after Iwas married, remember it well our boss had us going round clearing ice out of gutters and roofs it lasted 16 weeks, we were fed up, but no inside work so to earn a wage we had it to do, those were the days eh! Cheers Arthur.

I too can remember from the 1960's when we did have real snow, I might be wrong but it always seamed be to on Fridays 63 and 69 were bad years but I think it was 79 when Sheffield have quite a lot of snow but the problem was the constant below frezing temperatures and the snow stayed for many weeks, because it couldnt thaw.

Nearly all routes into and out of Sheffield are uphill/downhill

I remember 1947. One could walk to Hartley Brook School all the way from our house, just below Sheffield Lane Top, on top of the banks of snow piled up at the sides of the roads; and the icicles and frozen milk ....

I remember the frozen milk, - I was a milk monitor and we had to bring it in and stack the crates by the radiators in the cloakroom. Of course lots of the tops had 'popped' and the place smelled of stale milk for ages.

Remember too the ice slides we used to make ? We had one on our road that must have been 30 yards long and it lasted for weeks.

Archived