Remember white winters?

I keep bugging the wife to sell up &head for P.E.I nothing to do but drink rum all winter &jig for cod all summer,mind you being retired helps but something to do with all the g-g grand-kids seems to hold her back:D:D:D

The cod's gone, flyer, but there's always lobster, beaches and golf to make up for it. I'm headed your way over New Year to visit my daughter, son-in-law and soon to appear grand daughter. Give me chance to warm up a bit. Cheers. :)

I remember walking home from work in the winters of 1976/7 and 1978/9. All the buses had stopped, or got stuck. When was the last time that happened?

During the 78/79 winter, I was working at Thorncliffe. My car was off the road, so I was travelling by Bus. There was heavy snow and all the buses stopped. I finished up walking from Thorncliffe to my parents at Crosspool. (I lived at North Anston at the time - there was no way I was walking to there). Walkley Lane seemed to go on for miles - two steps forward, one sliding back.

The last white Christmas we had was 1981, i remember it well cause i'd just got married on 10 dec, the day after our wedding day it snowed and the snow lasted til about February, I cannot recall another white xmas since.

It was so bloody cold too, infact i think we had the lowest temp on record, about -18 on one night.:o

For SheShe.I certainly remember the snowfalls of 1947 I had just come home from my de-mob from the Royal Navy The snow lay on the ground for 6 or8 weeks Thawing a bit in the daytime ,then freezing again at night. We forgot what the roads and footpaths looked like About the only things that were mobile were the good old trams Now that was SNOW I can still go back to the house I lived in at the time and see the marks on the footpath I made when chopping at the snow ,to get down to the actual footpath

My mum-in-law used to tell us about the bad winter of 47 as she had just had my husband and felt stranded not being able to get out much with him.

Personally I can recall a bad winter around 63 when we lived up Lowedges, the snow had drifted to way above our front door!! Luckily we lived at an end house with the flats next door, so we had a back exit with a gate so we got out that way to start digging our way to the front door!! Needless to say, school didn't happen that day for me :clap: Yippeee :clap:

The snow then always seemed to be about 6-12 inches thick so making snowmen or sledging was never a problem. Poor kids of today have no idea of the fun that can be had with snow.

Hi Stenner I was born in 51 and the best winter I remember was 62/63 we had bad gales and then Christmas was snow snow and more snow, all the children were out with plastic bags in their shoes or if you were rich wellies.

It was amazing how we didn't feal the cold it was so quiet outside and the snow falling as we stood by the lamposts was a picture I think I will always remember.

Sadly today we dont see the snow as we used to, moving to Inverness only once last year did I see the snow I remember and boy did it come 12 inches within an hour then more over the next few hours and it lasted for nearly a week.

I am still waiting for snow but none so far this year.

Hi Stenner I was born in 51 and the best winter I remember was 62/63 we had bad gales and then Christmas was snow snow and more snow, all the children were out with plastic bags in their shoes or if you were rich wellies.

It was amazing how we didn't feal the cold it was so quiet outside and the snow falling as we stood by the lamposts was a picture I think I will always remember.

Sadly today we dont see the snow as we used to, moving to Inverness only once last year did I see the snow I remember and boy did it come 12 inches within an hour then more over the next few hours and it lasted for nearly a week.

I am still waiting for snow but none so far this year.

Sandie. Would you like some of my snow? I'm still waiting to get out of here as we're snowed in and the flights have been cancelled. Treasure the relatively snow free British winters. Something to be said for them. :help::help:

Remember the winter of '63 - being sent home from school because of the blizzards; frost bite; chill blains; snow drifts; carrying a shovel in the boot to dig the car out. Derbyshire Moors covered in snow for 6 weeks! Maybe that's why I have never taken to skiing! (Loved sledging as a kid tho!)

As I struggle through 3 days in a row of 40 degrees plus (centigrade) heat (35 degrees at 10pm!), I crave the 5 - 10 degrees and snow you have now in the UK!

Archived