Why do all scrubbers smoke?

How can she be working class if she is on benefits? Working class people work. I consider myself to be working class because I work for a living. I don't smoke and only drink at weekends.

What a derogatory comment to make, just because someone has said they are working class after they have been made REDUNDANT. Working class covers a wide range of perspectives, not just people who are working. What about the people who consider themselves UPPER CLASS, a lot of these are working too, but it doesn't make them working class.

It's beyond me why people are replying to a post that was started in 2006 anyway.....scrubbers!!!

How can she be working class if she is on benefits? Working class people work. I consider myself to be working class because I work for a living. I don't smoke and only drink at weekends.

My god just because someone was made redundant does not justify them being put in the same class as a scrubber because they smoke. How rude was that! I glad you have a job and a comfy smug working class life but some of us lost jobs through no fault of our own.

Redundancy is a very sore point for many many people at the moment!

What a derogatory comment to make, just because someone has said they are working class after they have been made REDUNDANT. Working class covers a wide range of perspectives, not just people who are working. What about the people who consider themselves UPPER CLASS, a lot of these are working too, but it doesn't make them working class.

It's beyond me why people are replying to a post that was started in 2006 anyway.....scrubbers!!!

Being woking class means you work for a living. I am not having a go at people who have been made redundant, I was made redundant last year. I mean the type of people who have never worked and are fit and able but just sit back and claims benefits, the type of people who seem to be taking over the city centre. They can never be called working class.

Being woking class means you work for a living. I am not having a go at people who have been made redundant, I was made redundant last year. I mean the type of people who have never worked and are fit and able but just sit back and claims benefits, the type of people who seem to be taking over the city centre. They can never be called working class.

Did you miss it when she said that she was made redundant then? from what i can see you were clearly saying that she was not worthy of being called working class!

Because the "scrubbers" don't have anything else in their lives, and many of those "scrubbers" do not drink alcohol, many on here do one or the other, and I for one am very offended at your generalisation of people.

Before you start on another dogmatic theory - a few on here know what i do for a living, and I would never judge anyone else for their lifestyle, I like a glass of wine or 3 , and yes i smoke - shoot me now for being a scrubber!

We all have to get on and cope in whatever way we can.......in whatever capacity we choose to live our lives.

Get a grip......

See... missing the point again - you are not a 'scrubber' for smoking - its more why do most 'scrubbers' smoke!!

And now it looks like we're heading down the 'class' debate... dear me... jaythedon, you've been trying for 3 years on this one, if I were you, I'd give up (just like smoking scrubbers should do!) :D

Just on the issue of class.

Is the definition of class related to how much is taken or given to society.

Eg upper class take do not give but are admired for doing so.

Middle take take more than they give.

Working give more than take .

Underclass take do not give give and are despised for it .

• 8 months later...

Archived