Fierce angels, thoughts?...

Matt S

Is that the nationally franchised night? Think i saw a big ad in Mixmag for lots of nights over the festive period. Personally not a big fan of franchises in clubbing - but no denying the brand recognition of a sucessfull one. Though I'm always curious as to what people are actually getting when, for example, they go to a local Hed Kandi night...

Anyway, that been of little use I'm sure & if its something completly different - please ignore this post!

TBH I don't think your place should do it Matt, having been there for Circus and seen the other stuff you host, I'd say your too forward thinking to host something like this. You've really put yourselves out there to support quality new and cutting edge music, so to have a fairly bog-standard and distinctly corporate funky/electro house night would be a step in the wrong direction, imho.

Of course it would be right money-spinner as there's clearly a market for it in Sheffield, but that's the choice you have to make.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts, would interested to hear other cases for and against.

:thumbsup:

i'm biased because i know mark doyle!

lets be fair about this. mark doyle was hed kandi, when he was in charge HK was credible, for clubbers, by clubbers and each album was worth having. now ministry have their foul little paws on it its just corporate.

theres room for fierce angels and properly promoted and run it will whip the floor with HK at crasher. Seems as though those of us who like disco style house aren't regarded as cool anymore and not catered for. i think DQ would be good for the angels and vice versa. i say go for it!

also sheffield can hardly claim to be that cutting edge! we after all have crasher, is there a night in the country more corporate?

i'm biased because i know mark doyle!

lets be fair about this. mark doyle was hed kandi, when he was in charge HK was credible, for clubbers, by clubbers and each album was worth having. now ministry have their foul little paws on it its just corporate.

theres room for fierce angels and properly promoted and run it will whip the floor with HK at crasher. Seems as though those of us who like disco style house aren't regarded as cool anymore and not catered for. i think DQ would be good for the angels and vice versa. i say go for it!

also sheffield can hardly claim to be that cutting edge! we after all have crasher, is there a night in the country more corporate?

Fair point Steve, HK has become a monster from credible roots, like so many things (GK, Cream et al) but it just doesn't appear that different, you know, the graphics are the same, the tracks aren't that different (my understanding was that he wasn't happy with the commercial direction it was talking, but you'd know far better than me on that!). I'm not suggesting at all that funky/soulful house is uncool or anything like that (as you know from last week :) ).

Obviously you know more about that scene than I do, but I just would have thought someone like Soul Heaven/Zoo Groove might be a more suitable option for them. I was talking about DQ itself being foward thinking, not Sheff as a whole, so for DQ to seperate itself from the dirge that is GK & HK etc, I just think Fierce Angels might be too similar, that's all. To me, DQ is know for doing something different, so I'm not suggesting in the slightest that Fierce Angels is crap, just that DQ might not be the right place for it if it came to Sheffield. :)

Archived