Fierce angels, thoughts?...

Matt S

Fair point Steve, HK has become a monster from credible roots, like so many things (GK, Cream et al) but it just doesn't appear that different, you know, the graphics are the same, the tracks aren't that different (my understanding was that he wasn't happy with the commercial direction it was talking, but you'd know far better than me on that!). I'm not suggesting at all that funky/soulful house is uncool or anything like that (as you know from last week :) ).

Obviously you know more about that scene than I do, but I just would have thought someone like Soul Heaven/Zoo Groove might be a more suitable option for them. I was talking about DQ itself being foward thinking, not Sheff as a whole, so for DQ to seperate itself from the dirge that is GK & HK etc, I just think Fierce Angels might be too similar, that's all. To me, DQ is know for doing something different, so I'm not suggesting in the slightest that Fierce Angels is crap, just that DQ might not be the right place for it if it came to Sheffield. :)

to be fair to fierce angels, the graphics are the same because they have jason brookes who did the original kandi art now working for them and not kandi. HK are basically imitating his artwork.

thing is though, fierce angels donb't have too many options with where they could go. i know they were going to go to sutra(at my recomendation!) but thats not an option, they can't go back to plug so that leaves them what option?

they want a sheffield venue because i know mark likes the city. DQ may not be an ideal venue but its pretty much their only option.

Yeah it normally has a huge 2 page spread in Mixmag, so you'll definatly get a good sized crowd there i reckon, and it'll get DQ's name in Mixmag as well which would be a bonus. What do your other promoters like Bug and Cargo think of it?

I wont repeat whats already been said on here, but although im not into the funkier side of house i have alot of respect for Mark Doyle, what he did with Hed Kandi was unreal!!

to be fair to fierce angels, the graphics are the same because they have jason brookes who did the original kandi art now working for them and not kandi. HK are basically imitating his artwork.

thing is though, fierce angels donb't have too many options with where they could go. i know they were going to go to sutra(at my recomendation!) but thats not an option, they can't go back to plug so that leaves them what option?

they want a sheffield venue because i know mark likes the city. DQ may not be an ideal venue but its pretty much their only option.

the art work i sure was copied from RISE they had some amazin graphics on the flyers, and now it seems to be re appearing on HK & FA

The other way of looking at that though is that HK retained their well established image, like any company would do. So despite wanting to break free from them, FA - and Tokyo Project before it - went with what appears to be exactly the same look. :huh:

It'd be like me saying I'm fed up with Tequila and going on to open my own place called 'Sambucca' and getting the same bar fitters in to do it up just like that nice job they did in the old place! :D

I ain't having a go, christ, Sanchez/KOT/Rampling/Daft Punk/MAW etc got me into house, so I can never diss the soulful side of things! HK never really seemed to hit my radar, they've got a huge presence in Newcastle now, but not then. I know loads of people who were bang into it early on and, like Mark Doyle, disliked what it became, so I agree with Cargo that respect is clearly due! :)

I know loads of people who were bang into it early on and, like Mark Doyle, disliked what it became, so I agree with Cargo that respect is clearly due! :)
you know me for a start!

don't get me wrong, FA isn't a boundary pushing, life changing organisation but it is lots of fun and i often think clubland needs that, there are far too many djs and organisations who take themselves for too seriously

Hed Kandi was very good back in the old days with Mark Doyle in charge and before it turned into the monster it is today. I haven't been to a Fierce Angels night yet (didn't realise I was staying 2 doors down from Es Vive in Ibiza until 3/4 days into the holiday...) but if it can capture some of the fun of the early Hed Kandi stuff it would be a good option to have :)

As DD mentions above - Marky Doyle is all about having a great night and that's what the earlier HK nights were. I think it's worth a shot - it's only 1 night a month.... It would be a nice contrast to the (quite frankly amazing) Circus nights and everything else that is going on at DQ at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Well lets say we were a little gutted too !

Thought we had a prime location for our new little night ...but it seems to have gone away which is a shame as I wanted to get back to my favourite city.

We're in talks with some other venues ...but we want our return to sheffield to be the right thing. I completely understand the decision not to work with us ... Lets face it who wants a 37 year old freak bouncing around playing big party house when you are trying to be cool !

Fierce Angel is first and foremost about putting on a great night with all of the big super brand rubbish stripped away. We're also faced with alot of local politics about where we can and can't work which have been enforced by our old friends at that old record label we used to work at !

have no fear we will find a home and we will be back... I love sheffield far too much to not have a party there !

Mark

Archived