Sheffields Current Kickboxing Scene

As the current season (and the year 2006) draws to a close, let us reminisce(spelling???) on the greatest kickboxing fights that have taken place this year.

Let's discuss the local clubs and local fighters especially the up and coming novices who have put their well being on the line in the square ring.

This thread should not be used to bash fighters,coaches and gyms just to acknowlede the local fighters (especially the up and coming stars of the sport).

For years the sport has seen a void and no one has had the guts to bring the clubs together,.... till recently,...

Ok lets hear it for :

AFK, Black dragons, Woodseats thaiboxing, Lau Gar and other reputable kickboxing clubs in sheffield!!!

Would Woodseats Thai Boxing be classed as a kick boxing club?

Woodseats Thaiboxing are capable of fighting under :

Full contact rules (American kickboxing where kicks are delivered above the belt), Kickboxing rules (Japanese style using low kicks and knees) as well as Muay thai rules ( using ritual dance , thai music and scoring that I do not aree with ;) ) . Since they compete in kickboxing yes they are a kickboxing club but thank you for pointing that out.

At some point im sure that one of the Woodseats thaiboxing fighters will fight in MMA too.

does anyone ahve any details for times and days for training at woodseats thaiboxing? thanks

Hi Cagney

Ring Mark Ellis, he will tell you the times and venues.

0114 296 7866

Or ring Dave Perks on :

07852 128853

Good luck. Tell them Farhad said Hello.

Farhad

Would you say that Thai Boxing makes up for most of the stuff they teach?

Hi Westley,

What would you define as "thaiboxing" and what would you define as "kickboxing" when it comes to stuff they (or any other club) teach?

Where do you draw the line?

As far as im concerned wether its Muay thai/ Full contact/ K-1/ Savate/ San shou,... etc

All are different styles of kickboxing.

All wear Boxing Gloves, all fight in the ring , all use punches and kicks (with differing regional and cultural variations).

I think I, along with anyone that had an understanding of Thai Boxing, would class it as Muay Thai, the fighting art originating from Thailand and before that Siam.

There are many people that get Thai boxing and Kick Boxing confused although I know you are not one of them, as for the stuff they teach, I can't comment on that because I've never been to their gym, seen any or heard or any of their fighters so I guess I'm not qualified to pass on any comment.

Thai Boxing should be taught as Thai Boxing, the full range of techniques that can all be used in the ring, and if a gym can also teach them to be applied in different situations also then that is even better.

I think it important that Thai boxing be taught as Thai boxing without any un-needed additions - especially where participants wish to compete, as a stand up art it is considered by many to be complete, I think the proof is in the pudding - watch most Muay Thai bouts that consist of 1 fighter schooled only in Muay Thai and the other having bits and bobs of everything and I think the evidence is clear.

I know you have done some Muay Thai training as on your site there is a photo of you at Sandy Holts gym holding some form of certificate, but ask Sandy Holt if he teaches a form of kick boxing or was taught a form of kick boxing by Master Sken and I'm pretty sure you'd get told he was taught Thai Boxing and teaches Thai Boxing - no fancy pants or moon boots round his gym ;)

I guess I wouldn't need to draw a line, Thai Boxing is Thai Boxing and kick boxing is not. Thai Boxing is steeped in history where as kick boxing is only a fraction the age of Thai Boxing (so I guess you could say that kick boxing is a modified variation of Thai Boxing yes..), however I don't think it's essential a gym teaches the history or culture of Muay Thai, there are several very succesful gyms in England that don't.

Archived