Wanting map and info on Brightside (Bierlow) c1900's please.

I'm doing a personal history project on my family tree.

I've been Googling for 3 days & found all kinds of stuff but have not yet come up with any type of ordinance survey or street map of Circa 1900.

Any one help me please?

Also anyone with any type of anecdotal stories, legends or word-of-mouth history?

Thankyou :thumbsup:

It is - it's excellent, I could dowith it extending to the upper right to cover Hawke St - Meadowhall stretch of Brightside Lane too :)

That looks a good site but I'll need to spending money to get the maps...

:hihi: I was a fter one I could print - cos I'm cheeky like that :thumbsup:

Try the Local History Library at the Central Library, they have some great maps some in colour.

I think they will run you copies off but I should give them a ring to check which ones they can copy.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with your project

Cheers everyone - I'm getting quite over enthused at the moment :banana:

Deecee & Greybeared, thanks for pm's- I've replied :thumbsup:

Since I posted this I've contacted the Sheffield Archives & got myself booked in for a 2hour session on their comps. They have open (free) access to the websites that one would normally be charged for using when accessing from home.

Thanks again folks! :wave:

don,

I was researching some stuff from my family history, recently, and was searching for information as to the location of my mother's birthplace, and for the location of my uncle's death.

Both of these were actually in the brightside/attercliffe/ carbrook area,.

the local studies library, within central library, were fantastic, providing me with maps of the area from the past, and the present to pore over, and work out where these locations were, in relation to each other, and in relation to where the roads run now. (as that area has been considerably remodelled)

you can't go far wrong with the central library.

best of luck with your searching.

Archived