1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Yes. I worked at C&A when I left school in 58 and the Burtons was still a bombed out building then. They rebuilt while I was there
Yes and me in 57 but guess I would be totally lost now in that area......I shall have to look on google earth and see if I recognise anything cos I'm flummoxed now:blush:

Yes and me in 57 but guess I would be totally lost now in that area......I shall have to look on google earth and see if I recognise anything cos I'm flummoxed now:blush:

Joan, How would you find these shops on Google Earth ? do you have to know the address ? I mess around with G Earth but don't get too much out of it, most a bit blurry when I try to zoom in on something am I doing something wrong ?

Joan, How would you find these shops on Google Earth ? do you have to know the address ? I mess around with G Earth but don't get too much out of it, most a bit blurry when I try to zoom in on something am I doing something wrong ?

Well I shall just zoom into the Town Hall I think and wander down Fargate and just try and find something that I recognise....not been for 20 years so by the sounds of what Iv'e read here it might not be all that easy.

If it goes blurry, I usually just come out a little and carry on scrolling. I just enjoy messing with it anyway so I might find something....:thumbsup:

PS....OK, I found Fitzalan Square(which isn't square anymore) and I found the Town Hall...had a wander down and back up again...saw where I think C&A's was and saw Pond street???? and decided to call it a day.....Glad nobody asked me to get any shopping when I was there:huh:

Spada573 wrote

Can anybody recall Colvins when they were on Waingate?

Colvins was the best shop in Sheff. Harringtons was good because being a short r's they turned my kex up free whilst I waited. The Hole in the Wall just on the corner of Townhead St and Church St brings back memories as my Dad used to stop and get his fags there before we went to the scrambling. I remember thinking "a hole in the wall???"

And although we're on about shops, I was a big fan of the Gambit chinese restaurant under where Jessops is now on Commercial St and also Davy's Clock restaurant opposite Wilkinsons now a flippin' slot machine den.

hi iv still got my 70s stuff..red lined skinhead crombie and 7 top pocket hankies with the cardboard.tie pin,3 pairs of loafers with tassals.black manchester dockers,2 pairs of 8 holes.red harrington bomber,scotch plad in it,blue beat hat in black,sta prest,loads of benshermans..and i still wear em and 2 lambrettas..quality in them days..can you remember the rag and tag..pipies,lord antonys ,all gone now things you buy now dont last long but mine iv had since 69..and i still look smart in them when i go out and the scooters are from 1966