1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Hi RiffRaff,

Yes it was Blonk Street from memory as Duke Street finished at the bottom it did become Blonk Street. That shop takes me back to the days when we had an Alladins Cave on our doorstep.

Can you remember the Rag and Tag there was also at the entrance on the other side towards the station as you went in there was the biggest hardware shop I have ever seen, can't remember the name

Regards

Violet May's was on the corner of Matilda Street and Matilda Way, just 50 yards from The Moor. She was an old lady with an amazing memory. I searched for an album called 'Lizard' by King Crimson circa 1972 and couldn't find it but she went straight to it. The price was exactly £3.59p, as decimalisation had been recently introduced. Sexy Rexy's was just a few yards up Cambridge Street on the right hand side.

The original Violet May's was near to the old Rag & Tag market where Park Square roundabout now is, she moved due to a demolition order. Sexy Rexy as you say was first right up Cambridge Street onto Charles Street, left side across from what was the Canary.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember one of the first "boutiques" in Sheffield it was calle Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, and it was on that little road that runs off Church Street, and goes up to Leopold Street, can't remember the name of the road. The shop used to be ulta groovey, to me a 17 year old. Mind you that might have been the 60's

I remember that lovely shop too!

I'd forgotten about Philip Cann the Music Man! I remember going in there when I was about 12 and buying a Rolling Stones songbook and Hohner Blues Harp harmonica. I think the shop became a Vallances. Bradleys was further down Chapel Walk near the bottom on the right. The record shop near the Albert I had forgotten about too, and I can't even remember the name of it now. I recall me and some mates wagging it from school to buy tickets at Wilson Peck to see Slade(hangs head in shame) in 1973. Seemed like most other 15 year olds in Sheffield had the same idea that morning as the queue stretched up the stairs outside and round the corner of Barkers Pool to where Banus is now, where we joined it and prepared for a long wait! And does anybody remember Violet Mays record shop and where it was situated?

Wasn't Philip Cann on Dixon Lane? I bought my first double bass there about 1954 or 5.

There used to be a real old fashioned tobacconist in Broomhill, that only sold pipes and fags and that sort of thing. It was demolished to make way for the shops and parking spaces at the beginning of Fulwood Road. Now where could I get hold of a picture of that?

• 10 months later...
Fashion focus!... every time i pass the Manor top i try to remember the name of that place.

I have never been in but it just seemed to have been there forever.

A lot changed in the years i was away from Sheff but i often get transported back in my mind when i hear a long forgotten name.

That reminded me of a small sweet shop or newspaper shop further down city rd (next to the music store) which was owned by the family of 'Saxons' drummer.

I was into rock music back then and Saxon were quite big at the time, that would be late seventies though.

I dont think we are talking about the same shop because of the time diffrence but my nan had a shop on city road it wasnt a newsagents but sold sweets,drinks etc,she sold it in 1969 that was next to or near to what is now sound control-used to be carlsboro.

on the same block was Bob Smiths butchers and a wool shop owned by my nans friends mrs marples and mrs atkinson the shops were opposit the old city road garage wich is long gone but the land is still there empty.my nan Dorris Pemberton lived in the first house next to the garage. we lived a little further down the road neat to the Travelers pub. we moved to Gleadless when i was three. i remember having my hair cut on city road by a lady called mrs mullinson in a shop on the corner of manor lane,they now sell grave stones there.