1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Dunnes stores is an Irish firm, I'm not sure why it sold out to Wilkos, but I do know that back in the old days it was a huge Woolies with an enormous cafe upstairs.

I remember most of these shops folks- so thanks for the memories!

My experience of Chapel walk in the seventies is that there were lots of book shops- a methodist one where you went downstairs, and it also had a sort of mezzanine floor above.

Richard shops was on the corner of Chapel walk and Fargate, and Van Allen, where I think Macdonalds or HMV is now.

And Saxone shoe shop that had a windy staircase, where the Halifax is now... and... and... my God! I've slipped back in time!

Does anyone remember Dunns Stores? The tags in the clothing used to read St Bernads as oppose to St Micheal for Marks. lol

I remember the jingle on the radio.

"Dunnes stores ,

With St Bernards,

Better value beats them all!"

jomarch

I'm not sure that Wilkinsons did buy Dunnes out, cos dunnes in Barnsley and the one on Haymarket, Sheffield were shut down for the longest time. (in fact, the Barnsley one, IRRC reopened as a co-op, didn't it?)

Can anybody recall Colvins when they were on Waingate?

I used to buy Ben Sherman shirts there in the late 60s when they were actually made in the states, the real mcoy. Levi jeans were 3 guineas and were not pre-shrunk as now. What a job they were to buy one size too big and then sit in the bath with them on to let them shrink to fit.

I remember Colvins, Ben Shermans used to come in a box, I think the lid was made to look like wood grain I seem to remember it being a tiny shop with stock from floor to ceiling. I bought my first levis from a shop at the bottom of the moor where the manpower services is now, I think it was a motorbike shop, the jeans were like cardboard no way could you try them on, like you said you had to sit in a bath.

I remember the jingle on the radio.

"Dunnes stores ,

With St Bernards,

Better value beats them all!"

jomarch

I'm not sure that Wilkinsons did buy Dunnes out, cos dunnes in Barnsley and the one on Haymarket, Sheffield were shut down for the longest time. (in fact, the Barnsley one, IRRC reopened as a co-op, didn't it?)

Well, neither am I, and it probably was empty along time. I do know, however, that there are many Dunnes stores still in Ireland.