1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Hi RiffRaff,

Yes it was Blonk Street from memory as Duke Street finished at the bottom it did become Blonk Street. That shop takes me back to the days when we had an Alladins Cave on our doorstep.

Can you remember the Rag and Tag there was also at the entrance on the other side towards the station as you went in there was the biggest hardware shop I have ever seen, can't remember the name

Regards

I think its name was Turner's Tools.

Cann's was in Dixon Lane before it went to Chapel Walk. You could buy a cardboard cover there for your 78's, with Cann's name on it. I think it cost 3d. I still have two.

I bought my double bass there about 1954/5, when I started playing trad jazz. I kept it until about 1965 then sold it to finance my new trombone.

• 16 years later...
On 12/11/2007 at 07:01, jomarch said:

Dunnes stores is an Irish firm, I'm not sure why it sold out to Wilkos, but I do know that back in the old days it was a huge Woolies with an enormous cafe upstairs.

I remember most of these shops folks- so thanks for the memories!

My experience of Chapel walk in the seventies is that there were lots of book shops- a methodist one where you went downstairs, and it also had a sort of mezzanine floor above.

Richard shops was on the corner of Chapel walk and Fargate, and Van Allen, where I think Macdonalds or HMV is now.

And Saxone shoe shop that had a windy staircase, where the Halifax is now... and... and... my God! I've slipped back in time!

High Street 1981.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember Cecil Gee's in the early 70's, I worked there in 72/73 and it was really great, as I was the only young girl there at 17,  I have fantastic memories of all the staff there,  as the first menswear London fashion shop to come to Fargate, you can image it took a very long time before the Sheffield lads would even come through the door,  an even then it was the Ecclesall rd set that shopped there,  we used to spray the Gee Man aftershave on every day,  and as I recall my good friend Robin, would alway's have Rod Stuart playing non stop,  lunch at the Stonehouse, or a take away fantastic sandwich  from the Attic on high court,  alway's lots of scandal going on, omg ! those were the days.

19 minutes ago, Isabelle Blue said:

Does anyone remember Cecil Gee's in the early 70's, I worked there in 72/73 and it was really great, as I was the only young girl there at 17,  I have fantastic memories of all the staff there,  as the first menswear London fashion shop to come to Fargate, you can image it took a very long time before the Sheffield lads would even come through the door,  an even then it was the Ecclesall rd set that shopped there,  we used to spray the Gee Man aftershave on every day,  and as I recall my good friend Robin, would alway's have Rod Stuart playing non stop,  lunch at the Stonehouse, or a take away fantastic sandwich  from the Attic on high court,  alway's lots of scandal going on, omg ! those were the days.

One of the best shops in Sheffield.

• 3 weeks later...

i worked at staniforth carpets in the early 70s and moved to work for mathews furniture co at attercliffe  sold the highest cash sale for them in 1976 ,it was £1,000 it bought them full house carpets, beds, bedroom furniture , 3piece suite, and a sideboard , then managed there london road branch, before being a manager at treadwell carpets in the old banners, then went in the pub trade , yeah great days, tell the boss to do one fri night, be in another job mon am .