1970's shops in sheffield

deano

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

i worked at staniforth carpets in the early 70s and moved to work for mathews furniture co at attercliffe  sold the highest cash sale for them in 1976 ,it was £1,000 it bought them full house carpets, beds, bedroom furniture , 3piece suite, and a sideboard , then managed there london road branch, before being a manager at treadwell carpets in the old banners, then went in the pub trade , yeah great days, tell the boss to do one fri night, be in another job mon am .

My mate worked at Mathew's nicked me a bed out of old church warehouse. 

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

i worked at staniforth carpets in the early 70s and moved to work for mathews furniture co at attercliffe  sold the highest cash sale for them in 1976 ,it was £1,000 it bought them full house carpets, beds, bedroom furniture , 3piece suite, and a sideboard , then managed there london road branch, before being a manager at treadwell carpets in the old banners, then went in the pub trade , yeah great days, tell the boss to do one fri night, be in another job mon am .

If my memory serves wasn’t it Brian Mathews who had a daughter named Sarah?

I've recently been going to Hull, the second most bombed city in the UK after London, it's wonderful, but Sheffield has nothing old left, my sons wish is that a building put up in his youth will still be there when he dies. 

Not much chance I suspect. 

I worked in an office in Yorkshire Bank Chambers at the top of Fargate, that’s circa 125 years old, for older buildings you need to look in and around Paradise Square, then there’s the Old Queens Head in Pond Street Bus Station, that’s the oldest going back to the 16th century.

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

If my memory serves wasn’t it Brian Mathews who had a daughter named Sarah?

yeah mr mathews had 2 sons brian and david and yes i think brians daughter was sarah, 

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

yeah mr mathews had 2 sons brian and david and yes i think brians daughter was sarah, 

Cheers, Brian was a well respected member of both the business and Jewish circles, and Sarah was lovely lass, I’m hoping that my was’s are is’s.

yeah i always got on with brian , but i always thought david was the better as a person , the dad was fantastic and so was there mum, but sometimes you feel to comfortable in a job and so i moved on , yeah great days there dad always remembered it was a working class firm as in his customers and brian wanted to go up market and it caused many a row, but dad was in charge and ruled the roost , i alway remember one day david wanting a new sports car as that was his thing, but was brought crashing down with  that idea , as dad said no chance its a new van next and remember thats what pays for the wages and cars.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2006 at 19:55, Mandem said:

I remember one of the first "boutiques" in Sheffield it was calle Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, and it was on that little road that runs off Church Street, and goes up to Leopold Street, can't remember the name of the road. The shop used to be ulta groovey, to me a 17 year old. Mind you that might have been the 60's

I remember that shop, very groovy as they said. Best shop in Sheffy, original stuff.

On 09/12/2006 at 18:55, Mandem said:

I remember one of the first "boutiques" in Sheffield it was calle Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, and it was on that little road that runs off Church Street, and goes up to Leopold Street, can't remember the name of the road. The shop used to be ulta groovey, to me a 17 year old. Mind you that might have been the 60's

44 minutes ago, ottlyn said:

I remember that shop, very groovy as they said. Best shop in Sheffy, original stuff.

Useless fact: the name of that boutique was a line from the song 'Desdemona', by the band John's Children and written by band member Marc Bolan (pre-T. Rex).

there was many charactors in them days, many family firms , there was the good old respect for the customers,goods delivered many put in place or put up like beds, unlike today dump and run idea. plus how can you buy a carpet or bed or suite without seeing it,sitting on it or trying it under foot,