What happened to the Duke of Darnall

If I also recollect a very short man worked or had a barrow around the Dickson Lane area at this time.

I can remember going up the lane from the Corn Exchange. The Veg Wholesale market on the Right and the Rag & Tag on the Left, He had a barrow near the bottom of the hill. My father used to take me when he went to a Radio spares shop situated on the left hand side but before the Exchange Street junction. Can anyone remember? I'm recalling a time before the Corn Exchange fire.

Can anyone remember Lol Knight, a real handful when he had been drinking, he was stocky and was a porter/barrow boy. Wondered if he could be your man, ask any ex bobby 60 and over about him.

What did they call the lady who ran the weighing scales? Remember Harry Rubenstein who sold fabric in the Rag & Tag? And what about Joe Edwards slinging his crockery in the air? I used to know his son Lance.

You got me going there, Lol Knight deaf and dumb, not when I heard him. :hihi:

Are you certain regarding the Duke? I ask because I have never heard that before. :confused:

I have not either. But what happend to him? He was part of our cities fabric, Some one must know.

Regarding Mr Edwards and the plates. I stood hours watching him in my teens and bought my Mother loads of Cups, plates, tea-services.

Who was the man who sold Herbal Mixtures? He had a stall on the right hand side in the Rag & Tag when entered from the bottom of Dixon Lane.

They cured everything!!

I have not either.
But what happend to him? He was part of our cities fabric, Some one must know.

Regarding Mr Edwards and the plates. I stood hours watching him in my teens and bought my Mother loads of Cups, plates, tea-services.

Who was the man who sold Herbal Mixtures? He had a stall on the right hand side in the Rag & Tag when entered from the bottom of Dixon Lane.

They cured everything!!

My post number 19 would no doubt help in solving your query.

Thank you and I'll follow your lead. His he moored in the actual basin or is he in the repair section that I was told was going to be built in 1990?

I understand in the actual basin but if not he is very well known and will be easy to locate. On the deaf and dumb theme I recall an Attercliffe shop keeper who told me that the Duke used to pass the time of day with him, don't know if this involved talking though.

Will be interested to see what the answer is, my bet is that he died in some sort of institution, as was the norm for folk like him in those days. I have at the back of my mind something about him living with a sister but it is very vague.

I dont think he was deaf and dumb I remember in the early sixties he attempted to interfere with BIG ALBERT who was directing traffic at the top of commercial street and he left his post and they were having quite a heated discussion with each other on the corner of fitzalan square he certainly was not lacking in voice and hearing then.

it could have been in the late fifties I cant remember exactly it was a long time ago obviously

Archived