What happened to the Duke of Darnall

Can anyone remember Lol Knight, a real handful when he had been drinking, he was stocky and was a porter/barrow boy. Wondered if he could be your man, ask any ex bobby 60 and over about him.

I aught to i lived next door to the family for thirty four years. His sister Carol will be proud to hear that his name has been mentioned on the forum.

So you must live on Walden rd because that where Lol lived for nearly all his life yes he was a handful when in drink but a gentleman out of it the only trouble is he was in more than out of it. Had many a run in with him over the years but he always forgot the day after he was a really a half decent chap.

If you go to the top of dixon lane today their are two stalls one is operated by keith littlewood he could tell you a few anecdotes about Lol them two had quite a few classic set too,s But over the years they became quite good friends. His favourite saying in the pubs was "buy us a drink" in a quasi menacing mood. will that make Carol a bit more prouder.

ALBERT T SMITH a long gone friend of mine was a market trader, he used to talk about a man called....

Little Herbert, perhaps this is the same character?

From the big ada era.

Little Herbert was the man in question. Now who was the one that sold the Herbal Tablets or something like them, in the Rag & Tag Market?

And what has finally happened to, 'The Duke of Darnall, Little Herbert, Big Ada, Etc?

All these characters have all gone and haven't been replaced. (or have they??).

Oh the nostalgia... The Duke of Darnall, Pond Street Nora, Wellington Kate... They must all have gone to the great Dixon Lane in the sky. There was also "Subway Sam" (lived in the Hole in the Road) whose real name was Cyril Griffin. He died of exposure one cold night. God bless 'em all.

Oh the nostalgia... The Duke of Darnall, Pond Street Nora, Wellington Kate... They must all have gone to the great Dixon Lane in the sky. There was also "Subway Sam" (lived in the Hole in the Road) whose real name was Cyril Griffin. He died of exposure one cold night. God bless 'em all.

Is anyone interested in tracing these characters enabling reference point to be made for someone to use. In a few years time, whilst putting together the real history of Sheffield and the people who lived here, someone would be very gratefull for their help.

It would be nice to think that some details of the lives of these people could be recorded in some way, but apart from personal recollections and occasional pieces in the local press there might be little to go on. According to my own diary, Cyril Griffin died in December 1976, aged 52. At one time he had worked at Firth Brown's, and I remember reading in The Star, shortly after his death, that his mind had been affected after his parents died, and it was then that he began to live on the streets. He was a harmless eccentric.

It would be nice to think that some details of the lives of these people could be recorded in some way, but apart from personal recollections and occasional pieces in the local press there might be little to go on. According to my own diary, Cyril Griffin died in December 1976, aged 52. At one time he had worked at Firth Brown's, and I remember reading in The Star, shortly after his death, that his mind had been affected after his parents died, and it was then that he began to live on the streets. He was a harmless eccentric.

I've come across the same thing happening a number of times to other people.

One being a former manager of mine.

When I see people in a simular position that Cyril Griffin was in, I often wonder how they came to be like that.

Might just have sorted out a bit more of this. During Christmas lunch my 82 year old mother started talking about her days at John Banners so I asked her about the duke. Yes he was deaf and dumb, thats why he got into such a mess when directing traffic, he lived in Attercliffe with a woman known as Russian Edna.

My mother said that he suddenly disapeared from the Attercliffe area, she assumed that he had died.

Archived