What happened to the Duke of Darnall

Its a long time since I saw him,1950s or perhaps very early 60s but unless the memory is playing up this is the man who lived in Darnall Road as per my previous thread. I and all the other kids were chased by him often enough.

Yes, he did live on Darnall Road opposite the school. He used to come into the school grounds and frighten us as kids. As stated by someone else, he was deaf and dumb.

jimbol

You can be assured that the picture of the 'Duke of Darnall' on the Picture Sheffield is correct.

Amongst my old photos I have a similar picture of him.

I would add that when I used to see him directing traffic on the main road at the end of Change Alley he used to wear kid gloves and spats.

He often had to be moved on by 'Popeye' the large policeman who often did traffic duty at the junction of Angel Street and High Street.

The Duke often caused problems for the motorists busy trying to watch Popeye's directions and trying to avoid knocking the Duke down when it was busy.

Happy Days!

Archived