Stuff for kids to do

My brother and his family are staying with me 22 - 28 July. They have 2 girls (11 and 4) and a boy (5). Please, please help me out with ideas about what to do with them all! I don't have kids and I don't know many - where are the good places to take them and is there anything on those days?

I live near Endcliffe Park so we can spend a day pottering there but I'd be grateful for any other ideas....

Canon Hall Farm at Barnsley is great for a day out close to home. They have a farm, acres of grounds, a cafe and play area/picnic area. You can buy bags of food to feed the little goats too! Its a great place = my son ( 8 1/2) and my neice (4) love it.

Originally posted by Spangle

How about Magna?

Should be something to suit all ages there.

S

magna is pricey but good. If the weather is fine the adventure playground (ticket holders only) is great for all ages up to about 12 -13

take a picnic - the magna cafe suck cheese big time.

yorkshire sculpture park - free, good picnicking

A walk, say around wyming brook - natural beauty, stream to throw stones in etc.

Endcliffe park Cafe and playground is good - nice food, reasonable prices, great people - new toilet block

The noisemaking exhibition at the Millenium Galleries. Again this is pricey, and I have my doubts as to how well the very rickety looking exhibits have stood up to the challenge of 1-200 schoolkids a day for the last fortnight. Underwhelming but fun for the younger kids.

Tram Rides - cheap and different.

Doncaster Earth centre - depends how worthy you are feeling. I think it is quite superb, but beset by expectations it did not build itself. Tickets cheapest if you do not arrive by car, arrival by boat is possible.

Yeah, but that's not even mildly amusing TO2O.

Erm, Heeley Farm is good, but it won't take you that long to go around. Nice cafe too though. In the afternoon you could head up to Graves Park on the 34 bus from Chesterfield Road, and go to the rare breeds centre, which has more animals than Heeley. Both good places. If the weathers nice you could go for a walk through Graves Park through the woods, and end up in Woodseats where there's a playground before you leave the park.

Other good options are:

Padley Gorge, always a favourite.

Magna

Chesterfield Park has a boating lake and a mini train thing that takes you through the park.

Try Hillsborough swimming baths, they have slides and stuff, and Ponds Forge.

If it's hot theres an outdoor swimming pool in Hathersage.

I'll post more when I think of em.

Originally posted by beckb

Canon Hall Farm at Barnsley is great for a day out close to home. They have a farm, acres of grounds, a cafe and play area/picnic area. You can buy bags of food to feed the little goats too! Its a great place = my son ( 8 1/2) and my niece (4) love it.

We are probably taking a helicopter there at the end of the month (25th?)

Archived