Martial arts not get on :-(

Davemantis

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get together and have a nice cup of tea while sharing our views on martial arts without any raising of voices or quickening of heart rates.

Tried to sort a night out a couple of time s but no one is interested  lol

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get together and have a nice cup of tea while sharing our views on martial arts without any raising of voices or quickening of heart rates.

Unfortunately that isn't the way Martial Arts work. It is perfectly impossible for martial artist to "get on" due to embarassingly simple, though slightly historical reasons.

Martial arts, unlike cricket, are something pedominantly designed to be used to maim thine enemy upon ye olde battle field. Methods of ancient warfare, like their modern counterparts, were kept secret from the oposing faction in order to increase their effectiveness. Thus, on the antiquated planes of Asia it would have been nigh on impossible for for our young Martial Arts' enthusiast to dabble in a bit of wing chun on a tuesday, partake of a little Xing yi on a thursday and work up a sweat with the Ba Gua Zhang Boys after lunch on a sunday.

Thus, one would develop an instinctual loyalty to the effectiveness of ones own art.

Furthermore. Martial Arts are not a democracy. In pre-20th century Asia, Martial Arts were a vocation, a career, not a hobby. And once a martial artist had entered upon his path to mastery, deviation was dealt with severely.

This is core to Eastern culture.

Martial arts in the west are to most a hobby. So none of the above will apply. You have 7 days in a week, giving you the possibility of practicing a different martial art per day. You can do this because it is your hobby, and not your neck that you are playing with.

If you are serious you will practice one martial art, and you should probably go and see how they do it where it was created, most likely Asia. As a result you should also develop a healthy hatred for all other Martial Arts. However, seeing as we are not serious Martial Artists none of this matters, and we can all go and have that cup of tea!

Good post :)

Although, I'd disagree about absolute, unwavering faithfulness to a single art. Some of the best martial artists of the modern age have utilised the freedom to cross-train to formulate a mixed style which works perfectly for them - for theeir body shape, strategy and temperament. Bruce Lee helped to initiate this idea with the Jeet Kune Do philosophy of taking a little of what works from each place that you visit.

Mixed martial arts is now a dynamic sport that has come to resemble an art in itself, with a set of commonly taught techniques that have been tried and tested in the octagon. The emphasis is on precision of technique, physical power and the understanding of concepts of human mechanics, as well as the cultivation of an individual game - all tested through regular full resistance training, which is an effective way of ironing out things that don't work so well.

I don't think there'll ever be a one-size-fits-all 'perfect style', but for that reason I'd say it's good to try a few disparate classes so that you can build a personal repertoire. I understand why people do stick to a single style though for artistic reasons - I do a few capoiera classes every now and then and although I couldn't ever imagine it being as effective as MMA in terms of the goal of defeating a single opponent in unarmed combat, it's a beautiful way of movement and philosophy.

But yeah, tea sounds good. I'm going to try and make it down to AFK kickboxing on wellington street on friday, maybe whoever fancies it could come there and then pop out for a meal or something.

Good post :)

Although, I'd disagree about absolute, unwavering faithfulness to a single art. Some of the best martial artists of the modern age have utilised the freedom to cross-train to formulate a mixed style which works perfectly for them - for theeir body shape, strategy and temperament. Bruce Lee helped to initiate this idea with the Jeet Kune Do philosophy of taking a little of what works from each place that you visit.

Mixed martial arts is now a dynamic sport that has come to resemble an art in itself, with a set of commonly taught techniques that have been tried and tested in the octagon. The emphasis is on precision of technique, physical power and the understanding of concepts of human mechanics, as well as the cultivation of an individual game - all tested through regular full resistance training, which is an effective way of ironing out things that don't work so well.

I don't think there'll ever be a one-size-fits-all 'perfect style', but for that reason I'd say it's good to try a few disparate classes so that you can build a personal repertoire. I understand why people do stick to a single style though for artistic reasons - I do a few capoiera classes every now and then and although I couldn't ever imagine it being as effective as MMA in terms of the goal of defeating a single opponent in unarmed combat, it's a beautiful way of movement and philosophy.

But yeah, tea sounds good. I'm going to try and make it down to AFK kickboxing on wellington street on friday, maybe whoever fancies it could come there and then pop out for a meal or something.

HEY CRAYFISH!!!

Friday night after AFK sounds like a great plan!

Who is up for it?

Archived