Diabetic Insulin Pumps

Do any diabetics on here have an insulin pump? I saw my diabetic nurse last week and it has been suggested to me as something to consider. I have a rare genetic condition that means I'm severely insulin resistant and have to inject large doses to keep good sugar control.

At the moment I inject 80 units of background insulin morning and night and 10 units of fast acting to every carb portion (10 grams) so for lunch if I have 3 slices of bread I have to inject 42 units of insulin for the bread alone.

I just want any opinions of whether they make much of a difference as I've been told it should mean a reduction in the amount of insulin I need. My main thought is of the inconvenience/social aspect of having a line in 24/7.

Any views...?

Yeah I went on the DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course a little while back and this has all come about from that really.

Apartently the doctors have to apply to the health authority for each case for a pump and they ultimately decide whether or not you can have one. Normally they are used for Type 1 diabetics but I may be classed as an 'exceptional circumstance' due to my genetic condition.

I suppose I really want to know how wearing a pump affects day to day life etc and is it really a benefit. Need to weigh up the pros and cons.

One of my friends has had her life transformed by her pump- she went from lots of injections and still having poor control, retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy to having a reversal of this damage and good control, even through going into hospital for surgery and jet lag.

She has been on injected insulin all of her life, and is very aware and competent, so that was not the source of her poor control.

The difference in her life has been such that she's saved enough money so that if she ever needs to replace her pump from her own pocket she can. I don't think that hell and high water could get her back to individual injections now.

• 3 years later...

Interesting...I have just had my insulin pump taken off me (as have lots of others) due to the new government's lack of funding for continued treatment. I have a meeting planned with the PCT to ask for extra funding.....has anyone else had to present a business plan for what I see as a right to good health?

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting...I have just had my insulin pump taken off me (as have lots of others) due to the new government's lack of funding for continued treatment. I have a meeting planned with the PCT to ask for extra funding.....has anyone else had to present a business plan for what I see as a right to good health?

Got a similar situation myself. I wonder if we've all had the funding for our pumps stopped? Sucks doesn't it?

That's scary! Im on straightforward injections for my diabetes, (25/75% mix fast and slow insulin)

My best mate is on a pump, and it's made a huge difference to her life

She's struggling, though at the moment, as the supplies can't get through because of the weather, and she is disabled and can't get out of the house, herself.

It would be a huge blow to her to have her pump withdrawn after the fight she had to get funding for it. She needs the pump so she doesn't have to fiddle with the individual injections.

Archived