Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

pontious

How true that is Basil! I'm a regular in The Dog & Partridge and Fagans which always seem to do well, the beer is always spot on and atmosphere great! Drinkers need to wake up and start fighting to keep pubs like the Rutland open, as someone said earlier 'Use them, or lose them!!'

Fagans and the Dog & Partridge...best pubs for Guinness in town.

I suspect that Joe keeps an eye on “his” pub.

Is it me or have they put new wallpaper up identical to the old wallpaper (only cleaner)

I wondered that too, but i asked, and they haven't. They did give the old stuff a bit of a clean. And thinking about it, a lot of the old wallpaper would have been covered by Phil's pictures anyway so wouldn't have got too worn or torn.

• 2 weeks later...

Went into the Rutland on Sunday and it was fine. Had a decent pint of Hobgoblin and the place seemed to have been smartened up a bit. Was very quiet but then it was Sunday afternoon. Had a chat with Neil who was working behind the bar who I knew from when he worked in another pub. :thumbsup:

We sat outside for a short time, the beer garden has had a lot cleared out and looks promising.

I was quite drunk at the time.

Will be going back. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
This is excellent news - especially if the garden is going to be properly looked after! I can't imagine the interior without all Phil's bric-a-brac. Is it 100% definite, or is it only a plan for now?

Did you see all the 'bric -a -brac' when John and Jean Price were the licencees? Absolutely fab, but they took it all with them when they left. The Rutland never looked or felt better than when they had it - IMO. They were really nice folk too. I first went in when it was two rooms with a central bar. Then came the single room. I only went in once after John and Jean left.

Archived