Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

pontious

Went into the Rutland Arms last week to have a nose at the place. Excellent job, very very homely. Cant believe it was ever shut, looks and feels so comfy. Nice place to relax at the end of a working day, proper old fashioned pub with a brilliant juke box, loads of music. Plenty of good ales to choose from and top service from Jo and Andy at the bar! Food was nicer than I expected, home cooked chips - agree, the best in Sheff - along with HOME MADE BREAD no less!! Glad that someone heard the cry from an earlier post "There must be some publicans in the city who could see the potential of the place and keep it's 'traditional' character"? I for one am glad someone did!!.........Call in, see if you agree?

Just to update you - the real cider has arrived for the "cider festival" starting tomorrow till the first of November. Some sampling last night confirms it will be great (while stocks last).

Also on the chip front we now have Henderson's Relish for all those who asked - my apologies for not starting with this available.

Went in for a meal and a few drinks with a couple of friends last night and was very impressed. Although as others have reported, the more ornate decor and nick-nicks have long gone, it feels very welcoming and comfortable, and if you didn't know the Rutland's recent history you'd think it had been unchanged for years. A good beer selection as well; I stuck to the Sheffield Brewery Blanco Blonde, but there were I think 4 other ales on, and the prices were reasonable at around £2.50 a pint.

Food good and filling (if a little bit "safe" for now - it would be nice to see more than 4 meal options on the menu); I suspect I may be going back more regularly.

However, as this long-running thread has shown, there have been several false dawns in the Rutland's recent history; if we want proper pubs like this in the city centre we really need to be using them instead of the faceless genreric bland bars that dominate our streets (such as the nearby showroom bar and that student place in the old Popular Music centre, both of which looked busy as I passed on the way home).

Went in the other night, seemed quite busy. Nice to see they have got shut of all the junk on the shelves but everything else is the same.

Had a pint of Abyss - not sure who makes it (a local I think ?) but it was very drinkable. Seemed to be 5 or 6 cask ales on.

Oh and while we were there the barman gave us some cards inviting us to their grand reopening party, which is tomorrow night (Wednesday 28th) from 7pm - I'm presuming it's open to anyone. Apparently it features 7 real ales and a whopping great 10 real ciders!

Their email address is Rutlandarms@hotmail.co.uk if you want to know more.

Went in the other night, seemed quite busy. Nice to see they have got shut of all the junk on the shelves but everything else is the same.

Had a pint of Abyss - not sure who makes it (a local I think ?) but it was very drinkable. Seemed to be 5 or 6 cask ales on.

Abyss is indeed a local ale, brewed by The Brew Company.

Here you go.

If only you could reinstate the old menu from around 2005-6. That chicken in stilton and mushroom sauce was divine!

Indeed it was! You inspired me there, Basil, and I made some chicken in a mushroom, creme fraiche and gorgonzola sauce shortly after reading your post :)

Food was nicer than I expected, home cooked chips - agree, the best in Sheff - along with HOME MADE BREAD no less!!

There is nothing like home made bread; I make all ours, I get a lot of mental planning done whilst kneading dough. Yog said to me the other day "If one day you're a rich, successful publishing magnate, will you still make me home baked bread?"

Maybe he's only marrying me for my cooking.:suspect::hihi:

Oh and while we were there the barman gave us some cards inviting us to their grand reopening party, which is tomorrow night (Wednesday 28th) from 7pm - I'm presuming it's open to anyone. Apparently it features 7 real ales and a whopping great 10 real ciders!

Their email address is Rutlandarms@hotmail.co.uk if you want to know more.

I happened to be in during the latter half of the evening as I'm attending a theatre course every Wednesday atm, and it was a brilliant night! The staff were handing out pork sandwiches with crackling which was divine, and spoons of mashed potato with a sausage and gravy on. Absolutely brilliant. And once again, some of my favourite people in Sheffield were in there.

The Rutland being open again, and by a team who know what they're doing (all the staff have superb social skills) has improved the quality of our lives. It's like having The Crown and Two Chairmen (my fave pub in Soho) in Sheffield!

Archived