Help sheffield 1940's/50's

hazey1

hello you good people!

i'm in need of some help.

my grandparents are from sheffield and moved to blackpool mid 50's.

they still talk about sheffield often and i would love to suprise them this xmas by getting them a picture of somewhere in sheffield they will have fond memories of.

i was wondering if anyone on here could give me any advice?

i know they loved to dance when they were younger (and still do!!) .

can anybody on here remember any places that may have been regular places for rock n roll style dancing?! or alternativly somewhere they may know well from the 40's/50's?

my granddad was an usher when he was a boy, perhaps someone knows of a place he may have worked at?

also are there any places you can buy old pictures of sheffield online ( i am from newcastle so it's a bit of a journey!)

any help would be much appreciated.

kind regards,

hazel

• 6 months later...
hello you good people!

i'm in need of some help.

my grandparents are from sheffield and moved to blackpool mid 50's.

they still talk about sheffield often and i would love to suprise them this xmas by getting them a picture of somewhere in sheffield they will have fond memories of.

i was wondering if anyone on here could give me any advice?

i know they loved to dance when they were younger (and still do!!) .

can anybody on here remember any places that may have been regular places for rock n roll style dancing?! or alternativly somewhere they may know well from the 40's/50's?

my granddad was an usher when he was a boy, perhaps someone knows of a place he may have worked at?

also are there any places you can buy old pictures of sheffield online ( i am from newcastle so it's a bit of a journey!)

any help would be much appreciated.

kind regards,

hazel

If you go onto the web page Sheffield in pictures you will get all the old photos of Sheffield.

Hi There,

The City hall was (and still is) a favourite place for dancing in the 40's and 50's. As lazyherbert says, look on the Sheffield in pictures web page. There are photo's of the city hall on there. You could also try to contact a shop in Sheffield called "Sheffield Scene". They have lots of stuff relating to old Sheffield as well as new souveniers of Sheffield. The address is Surrey Street, Sheffield S1.

Lazy herbert, So many dance halls City Hall, Abbeydale Cinema, Greystones, Idsworth Rd, Rotherham baths, I suppose it dependerd where they lived in sheffield Wish I could send you a photo,but it is a long time ago I expect thatyou will get many more suggestions Juat thought of another one Glossop Rd Baths Good luck with your search

You can bet your sweet life that your Grandparents went bopping at the Locarno, it was a very popular place in the 50's and early 60's. It changed it's name to Tiffany's in the 70's but here is a photo of how it would have looked in the 50's/60's.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s21332

there was a dance hall on White Lane, at Gleadless Townend. It's the Kwiksave / Somerfield supermarket now. (I can't remember what it was called)

What about the Embassy on Mansfield Road?

It was called the azena.

You can bet your sweet life that your Grandparents went bopping at the Locarno, it was a very popular place in the 50's and early 60's. It changed it's name to Tiffany's in the 70's but here is a photo of how it would have looked in the 50's/60's.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s21332

Pre WW2, this was the Landsdown cinema,saw my first film there as a young lad. After the Blitz,Marks and Spencer used it as a shop as their store was bombed. Has the building survived,or made way for something else?

Archived