Help sheffield 1940's/50's

hazey1

Pre WW2, this was the Landsdown cinema,saw my first film there as a young lad. After the Blitz,Marks and Spencer used it as a shop as their store was bombed. Has the building survived,or made way for something else?

Yes it has survived & they are embarking on a renovation project at the moment.So it should be around for a few more years yet.I liked to sit in the balcony & spy out the talent & then zzzoooooommmm in on them.

Pre WW2, this was the Landsdown cinema,saw my first film there as a young lad. After the Blitz,Marks and Spencer used it as a shop as their store was bombed. Has the building survived,or made way for something else?

they've knocked the main body of the cinema/ dance hall down. they've built a student village on the site, all along Boston Street and Arley St (I think the road is called) and over the site of TC harrison car showroom, weaving round the back of the albion.

Because the frontage is listed (the pagoda-thing) that part's being preserved, and renovated, I heard tell it's going to be a "feature" entrance.

The workmen are currently sandblasting the stonework/ brickwork of the pagoda tower back to the original surface.

I thought it looked nice, when it was painted white, it looked clean(ish) and crisp. when it was painted black, I thought it looked absolutely terrible.

Apparently, the stonework, under all those years of paint, and flypostings, is a delicate cream colour, and is going to be coated, rather than painted.

I expect that it will look nice, when done, if that's the case.

Glossop rooad baths, City 'all, Abbeydale rooad baths, Cutlers 'all, thi wu a lot a gooduns in them days. A lot of working mens clubs with good shows on a saturday. A mate of mine, Piggy Astle used to sing all the Italian stuff, "Come back to Sorento " etc. we used to call him the singing butcher, anybody remember him.

Archived