Bungalows and Bears, Division Street

firecracker

Bungalows and Bears - how do you rate it?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Bungalows and Bears - how do you rate it?

If you'll forgive me disappearing up myself for a minute, I suppose what I'm saying is that the velvet rope only works if there's some sort of aspirational, otherwise unattainable "other" beyond it which you want to define yourself by becoming assimilated into. Bianca Jagger on a horse? Grace Jones in bodypaint and Andy Warhol on the telephone to God? Probably worth queueing for. An ersatz indie-by-numbers boozer? probably not. Even disco died, and they all had much better shoes than Bloc Party.

If everyone followed your (probably fair) logic - the whole night time economy would come crashing down - many people like a bit of glamour to add sparkle to a night out - even if its clearly rubbish.

Well I and a bunch of mates got in without cards with no trouble at all last Friday (though of course we're all rather indie and they'd just been playing at the Grapes so we were carrying a bunch of guitars drums and so forth) and quite liked the place. I think they're trying to build things up slowly by keeping the label wearing assholes out thus gaining the loyalty of regulars who stay there for more than 1 drink.

If Crystal, Forum and the like can pick and choose their clientel depending on how dressed up they are surely its OK for BnB to make the same selection based on student / indie dress?

There are many bars on Division Street / West Street on a friday and saturday nite who would prefer you to dress up.. I've been turned away several times for wearing trainers or a hood or whatever, basically I don't conform to their ideal... so whats the problem with a bar for people like me, who prefer to dress more indie?

Door policies exist, they're not going to go away.. It seems sensible to me that some bars are dressy and some bars more indie? The crowds are different, why not cater for each seperately rather than trying to be all things to all people? I want indie music and a relaxed atmosphere.. thats what BnB provides.

I don't want BnB to relax their policy otherwise I'd stop going to town on a weekend completely because I want a chilled night out not the usual weekend west street experience which is on offer in most of the other bars.

I was in there last night and the barman kindly gave me a cigarette so props to you if you read this! Really friendly staff, great bar.

Personally I think having a membership is a good idea, because the amount of idiots out in Sheffield on a friday/saturday is unmatched anywhere! Far too many chavs causing a general nuisance.

Well I and a bunch of mates got in without cards with no trouble at all last Friday (though of course we're all rather indie and they'd just been playing at the Grapes so we were carrying a bunch of guitars drums and so forth) and quite liked the place. I think they're trying to build things up slowly by keeping the label wearing assholes out thus gaining the loyalty of regulars who stay there for more than 1 drink.

so i didnt get in as im a label wearing asshole...

interesting theory...

the amount of idiots out in Sheffield on a friday/saturday is unmatched anywhere!

So where else have you ever been exactly? Personally, I think you'll find a well matched, if not greater ratio of fools in virtually any city in the country on a Friday or Saturday night.. clearly you haven't been watching 'Booze Britain'.

I have stopped going to BnB as on Xmas Eve I went (alone)to meet friends who were already there only to be asked for ID. I am well over 18 so don't carry anything. I distinctly got the impression that it was my uncool anorak that caused the rather annoying door person problems not my youthful appearance. Would have left it there but I had been bought a drink, I was told my ID was unacceptable before they let me in (?) Another friend came to meet us, (female and alone) dressed considerably smarter but perhaps more high street, she was told that the bar was too full. (it was dead) before they let her in. I don't know whether they are trying to create a reputation by making people think it is hard to get in, but I don't think there's a place for it in Sheffield. I found it very strange behaviour after having been invited for their free dinner/lunch trial day and their opening event, which I quite enjoyed, all that PR wasted on me at least.

I have mixed feelings about the membership card, but I think their door policy in general needs looking at.

Archived